Crock?

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Went for a walk on the Ohio river the other day, looking for arrowheads,bottles,etc., and came across what looked to be a broken crock.There were footprints all over the place were people had walked before me.How nobody saw this i don't know.There was about three square inches visible in the sand,i reached down under the edge and started pulling and out popped a whole crock of some kind. There are no breaks or chips on this piece anywhere.It has the letter R stamped on the neck of the crock.i'm trying to find out who the manufacturer was but having no luck.There are no other markings on it at all.I don't believe it is redwing stoneware.Any body know?Age and Maker?

Attachments

• memorial day find 001.jpg
    memorial day find 001.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 514
OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
That explains the holes on either side.Bail and lid are missing.Thanks for the help with the R. HB

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
It is 6 1/4 " tall by 4" round.I can't find one by searching Robinson.Every piece with the robinson stamp is located on the bottom.All that is stamped into this piece is R. HB

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Jim for all your help. I had searched Ebay as well and wasn't able to find one.I noticed you are from Tampa Fl..I grew up there in the Hyde Park area along Bayshore Blvd. I sure miss it down there, what a place. HB

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am not sure that your crock was made by Robinson (Robinson Clay Products Company)....Robinson was a brick and tile company until it merged with Ransbottom in 1920........Ransbottom was the largest producer of stoneware........ and they did not mark their pottery with an incised 'R" after the merge.
I think you might have a early Ransbottom canning jar,made after 1901.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hill Billy

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Will look for ransbottom stoneware and see what i can find.The R stamped in the side should tell you who made it, just can't find one like it yet. HB

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Here is the list of companies that made pottery/ stoneware canning jars.....Maybe it will help your search

Buckel Pottery Co. White Hall, Ill.
Buckeye Pottery Co. Macomb, Ill.
Burley and Winter Pottery Co. Crooksville, Ohio.
Hawthorn Pottery Co. Hawthorn, Pa.
Logan Pottery Co. Logan, Ohio
Louisville Pottery Co. Louisville, Ky.
Muskingum Pottery Co. White Cottage, Ohio.
Nashville Pottery Co. Nashville, Tenn.
Nelson McCly Sanitary Hardware Co. Roseville, Ohio.
Paducah Pottery Co. Paducah, Ky.
Pfaltzaraff Pottery Co. York, Pa.
Ransbottom Bros., Pottery Co. Roseville, Ohio.
Red Wing Union Stoneware Co. Red Wing, Minn.
Star Stoneware Co. Crooksville, Ohio.
Uhl Pottery Co. Evansville, Ind.
Western Stoneware Co. Monmouth, Ill.
White Hall Sewer Pipe & Stoneware Co. White Hall, Ill.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread