dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real. 1939 Worlds fair souvenir spoon. Nice. Plated I am sure. The 1939 souvenir items are not rare but are still a good collector item. There was a multitude of items made for that fair and hard core collectors for Worlds Fair items are always looking for items..Value wise check ebay. I would guess the market would be anywhere fro $10 to about $15 ...
May be lower.
DG

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
As far as polishing it, silver is the ONLY thing I have ever seen on the Antiques Road Show where the expert says "Go ahead and clean it up real good and polish it." Seems like the patina on silver is something people don't like and may detract from value. Before you polish it. Let a few more chime in to see if my thoughts hold true.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would seek advice from a dealer/collecter before you polish it - bronze and brass items have a patina which in some cases add to the value of an item. Its like old coins and antique furniature - if it is just junk and has no value then do what you like but if its worth anything removing the patina also removes value.

Upvote 0

Abbey

Aug 15, 2006
Eastern Shore, MD
Detector(s) used
Discovery200
Nice little spoon :) I have a number of them from various places and events-- given to me by my grandmother. They're all plated with only one exception, and I do clean them-- gently. Don't use Tarnex or anything like that. The idea is to bring out the raised image by leaving a little tarnish... I got tired of cleaning the display rack every month or so ::) so I now use them in my jar of coffee spoons. No dishwasher- just a washrag. They look good, hold up well and I get to see and handle them daily.
Ab

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread