✅ SOLVED Crown coin? Token? Please Help!

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this in a field today that has produced Colonial period coins, but I have no idea what this is. It looks like half of a brass coin/token to me. It's broken right down the middle, but from what I can see it has a crown in the upper half, the letter(s) "V" then "H"? And below that in a rounded font, the letters, "A. Thomps". I assume it would read A. Thompson if it were whole. The backside of the token doesn't have anything on it, so I've only included the side with writing.

The coin/token weighs 6.7g, and measured 32.74mm on the micrometer.

Can anyone help me out with this one? Your help is appreciated! Thanks!

Happy Hunting!

-Nate

Attachments

• mystery_coin.jpg
    mystery_coin.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 91

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Neat find! It is probably a crown over VR for Queen Victoria and the name under it could be "A. Thompson". That mark is associated with antique padlocks. I don't know how your find fits with a padlock.

I did find this item on ebay which is interesting and also this is a large padlock with the key cover looking similar. Though based on the size of your piece I know the padlock would have to be huge.

Countermarked Token Great Britain Crown VR A Thompson | eBay

Attachments

• thompsonlock2.JPG
    thompsonlock2.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 103
  • thompsonlock.jpg
    thompsonlock.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help Bramblefind...Don't think I would have found that alone. Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Could be a token but might be someone made that from a dust cover, some were very large I have seen one of those old locks that was 9" tall and weighed 4 lbs.
Many are 6" .
Also would a token have the V.R. marking?

I cant find the size of the lock like the one bramblefind posted with the round dust cover but here is a link to a similar round one that is 1.25"

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/161049-v-r-keyhole-cover.html

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread