Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This iron thing is mounted on a piece of wood , looks like it was supposed to be hit by a hammer . There is a place where a part is missing in front of the square nails . Seems too small to be a nut cracker . Any ideas??

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 348
  • Picture 002 (2).jpg
    Picture 002 (2).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 343
  • Picture 004 (3).jpg
    Picture 004 (3).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 340

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost looks like a hammer for a black powder rifle ???

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm guessing it was used to shear something (Wire? Thin stock?). By smacking the wire and then bending it around the lone nail you'd make a super cheap staple for putting up chicken wire.

Upvote 0

Batch

Apr 18, 2004
Kusel County
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I think this wasn't originally supposed to be mounted in this way (to a wooden block) but this configuration was a "mother of invention" to allowed continued use after the handle (the missing piece) broke off. That said I go along with Mojjax...hold it in one hand and smack with a hammer with the other hand. Now what this holding and smacking would produce is beyond me! (Is that the remnants of a spring under the "smackable" hinged part?)

Happy hunting to all!

Batch

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was probably mounted on that board because holding in the hand and smacking equals a sore hand. Staple thingy is a good guess, but I am more inclined to think it was used to seat something or expand something such as a rivet. I'm not seeing any cutting edges to sever something so??? Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread