Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am confused about the ground balance option.
Am I understanding the manual correctly .....leaving the GB enable option UNCHECKED is what is considered auto ground balance and should be used for most areas?
Should this also be the setting on fresh water beaches?
Thanx.

OP
OP
gabbyhayes

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess not many CTX 3030 users that understand their detector here

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is correct and should be left unchecked for all but highly mineralized dirt. From what I understand even leave it unchecked in saltwater beach detecting. I have hunted one time in highly mineralized soil in TN where it seemed to run better with GB checked and setting GB every few minutes.

OP
OP
gabbyhayes

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that is correct and should be left unchecked for all but highly mineralized dirt. From what I understand even leave it unchecked in saltwater beach detecting. I have hunted one time in highly mineralized soil in TN where it seemed to run better with GB checked and setting GB every few minutes.
Thanx.
That was all I was looking for...someone to confirm my suspicions.
I find the manual a little ambiguous at times or short on explanations.
The manual often explains the obvious, but is a little short on detail.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes this is correct. Feel free to give me or your dealer a ring with questions!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just a reminder and brief explanation of Ground Balance on the CTX from this months Minelab FBS Newsletter:

USE OF THE GROUND BALANCE OPTION ON THE CTX 3030

The last few Bootcamps I have been asking who uses the Ground Balance function and was surprised to get some hands to go up. The thing you need to remember is that this option was added for one thing and that was for hunting in SEVERELY mineralized ground where the Noise Cancel function would not help. Pressing the lower touchpad brings up the GB menu and pressing the center touchpad activates it. The downside is that you balance to the ground under the coil and if conditions change 10 feet away, performance suffers unless you redo it – it is not a tracking ground balance as found on some detectors but fixes the value to where it was when you did the GB adjustment. If you are not hunting in the Southwest or Australia, leave this function OFF and you will not have any issues. In the last two sessions, there were 5 people that had it active and when removed, they were shocked at how much more stable their detector was. Check it before you head out and make sure it is unchecked.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a reminder and brief explanation of Ground Balance on the CTX from this months Minelab FBS Newsletter:

USE OF THE GROUND BALANCE OPTION ON THE CTX 3030

The last few Bootcamps I have been asking who uses the Ground Balance function and was surprised to get some hands to go up. The thing you need to remember is that this option was added for one thing and that was for hunting in SEVERELY mineralized ground where the Noise Cancel function would not help. Pressing the lower touchpad brings up the GB menu and pressing the center touchpad activates it. The downside is that you balance to the ground under the coil and if conditions change 10 feet away, performance suffers unless you redo it – it is not a tracking ground balance as found on some detectors but fixes the value to where it was when you did the GB adjustment. If you are not hunting in the Southwest or Australia, leave this function OFF and you will not have any issues. In the last two sessions, there were 5 people that had it active and when removed, they were shocked at how much more stable their detector was. Check it before you head out and make sure it is unchecked.

An older thread, but very important. I wish your post was a giant-font note in every CTX box, and at the top of every CTX forum. So many people are confused by it.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I think that the issue comes up because many other detectors are designed so that GB is crucial, where the CTX it is not.

I consider Noise Cancel to be akin to GB on other induction balance machines.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Maybe it could be posted as a "Sticky" to help folks out...
An older thread, but very important. I wish your post was a giant-font note in every CTX box, and at the top of every CTX forum. So many people are confused by it.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
I guess not many CTX 3030 users that understand their detector here

Get Andy's book on the CTX. It explains so much and will save you tons of time asking questions. I swear I read it once a month just as a refresher.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a new CTX3030 about 5 months ago and had enabled ground balance and was ground balancing just before I started hunting a site. Now I learn that most people leave the enable ground balance unchecked with better results. Minelab manual even today does not make that crystal clear. So I was hunting with my CTX with the wrong setting. My soil in north Atlanta is fairly mild between 15-19.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread