Metal Detecting

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is no difference between clad and silver dimes. The numbers change based on your search mode, heavy trash, ground-coin, ferrous coin. I normally hunt ferrous coin and it's 12.43

Last edited:
OP
OP
ringking76

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP,Minelab CTX 3030 and Tesoro Golden Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no difference between clad and silver dimes. The numbers change based on your search mode, heavy trash, ground-coin, ferrous coin. I normally hunt ferrous coin and it's 12.43

Ya I run gone hunting's program.
Well that's disappointing to hear.
I was expecting more from this machine.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ya I run gone hunting's program.
Well that's disappointing to hear.
I was expecting more from this machine.

Can't really expect more, no other machines do that accurately either.

There is one tip

The CTX is really one impressive machine, but you have to put in the hours to learn it; until you do you can't learn its potential.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also suggest watching videos of guys on youtube who are good relic hunters, it's almost the same experience as hunting yourself if you study every screen reading and thing dug.

Watching youtube videos has made me a much better relic hunter.

OP
OP
ringking76

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't really expect more, no other machines do that accurately either.

Im sorry i have to disagree,using my ATP I know if its clad or silver dime,qrtr,half or dollar by just using the vdi #'s.
I knew with the CTX I would gain depth and uncover the masked targets but i took it for granted that there would be separation between the clad and silver targets.

OP
OP
ringking76

ringking76

Jul 8, 2014
knoxville area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the vid link gsxr
Ill have to give it a try tomorrow.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
here is some really good videos to study

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive been reading about the CTX fe-co numbers and I must say I find the machine extremely accurate in identification. In fact, I almost always know when its a silver vs clad by number and sound. I've found 55 silver coins in about two months and it's because I can differentiate between the clad and silver. A merc always shows up at 12-45/46, always. Barber usually do the same. If the number bounces to 44 then back to 45 maybe its a silver. A 45 is the magic repeater number! 44 to 43, no dice unless you're hunting an older spot. I've found seated dimes at 12-43 but the spot was 250 years old and the probability of a lincoln or clad is low. Here's my numbers:

Mercury dime:12-45/46
Barber dime: 12-45
worn seated dime: 12-43/44/45
Nice seated dime: 12-44/45
Quarters (barber, SLQ, and washington): 12-46/47
Standing half and Franklin half: 12-47-48
Large cent, Early: 12-47/48
Large cent, late: 12-46/47/48
Wheats: 12-40/41
Indians: 12-33/34/35 down to 30 according to a friend
Trimes: 12-29/30
Lincolns: 12-42/43/44
zincolns: 12-35/36/37/38
Most nickels: 12-12/13/14, silver war nicks up to 20

of course old sites (colonial) I dig everything.

These are all dug depths of 3" or more. No air tests and reburied coins.

Next, my settings are not AUTO GAIN. The auto gain will make you miss a lot, especially in ferrous soils. I use +3 and have an open screen. I change position up to 3 and found times to get different angles on a target, resulting in multiple scanning angles. There's no magic out there - a detector will read whats under it but most times a few angles can help sum up whats possibly under there. I also don't run FAST. I feel I get a better read on DEEP with no FAST RECOVERY.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I general will run ferrous coin. If the numbers are around 12.44-45 and don't bounce around, or especially drop down to usually 12.41, it will almost always be a silver coin.

Generally good targets will only give you a momentary high tone at moderate swing speed. Those are the ones I listen for, especially if they are deep. I have a friend who swings way too fast and tries to hurry and he always misses the good signals and even clear lower signals that end up being an older nickel or a silver coin next to nails. I try and get him to slow down. Last year, I went to 2 different places where I found 4 silver coins within 30 feet of each other in a row in a spot that I gave him first dibbs. If you get even a lower signal that sounds clear, go ahead and dig it. Many times I have had silver in my hand or on top of the ground and didn't know it, because the readings were a bit low cause of the iron in the same hole.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you only dig CO45 you are missing a LOT of silver! You can not (let me repeat for clarity CAN NOT ) cherry pick silver with the CTX. It's a damn fine machine and consistently finds me more silver and deeper silver than anything I have owned in 30+ years of detecting. But the CTX does not look at targets like other detectors and this results in a broader spread of target numbers. Coins that are next to iron, coins that are highly-angled or on edge, and coins that have been worn very thin give lower CO numbers. They are still "coin" numbers, but nothing that screams "silver". I have dug seated and barber dime that were consistent CO39 readings.

If you want to keep cherry-picking and have a good location, please send me an invite. I would love to follow behind you!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you only dig CO45 you are missing a LOT of silver! You can not (let me repeat for clarity CAN NOT ) cherry pick silver with the CTX. It's a damn fine machine and consistently finds me more silver and deeper silver than anything I have owned in 30+ years of detecting. But the CTX does not look at targets like other detectors and this results in a broader spread of target numbers. Coins that are next to iron, coins that are highly-angled or on edge, and coins that have been worn very thin give lower CO numbers. They are still "coin" numbers, but nothing that screams "silver". I have dug seated and barber dime that were consistent CO39 readings. If you want to keep cherry-picking and have a good location, please send me an invite. I would love to follow behind you!

Seems like you're talking about my post but I don't cherry pick. I dig the low numbers as well and wanted to point out my knowledge of what I see once it reaches daylight. You bring up a very good point which is to NOT cherry pick. It's the oldest MD mantra which is to dig it all. Thanks for pointing that out and you're right that this machine does not have a magic silver detect mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions