What's new

CTX report from Canslaw

MBbeachrat

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
361
Reaction score
79
Golden Thread
0
Location
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Read this on another forum and although I think this pretty well know just had to share.


By Canslaw
Depth test with a CTX, Excal II and a CZ 21 (long report)
Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending the bi monthly lunch with the Myrtle Beach water hunters club. What an experience! All of the top hunters here in MB have switch from Sov. GT's and are now hunting with the CTX. 90% of the hunting in MB is wet sand hunting at low tide with 10% shallow water troughs. Half of the guys with CTX's do not take them in the water....strictly wet sand machine replacing their GT's Of they guys that do water hunt with the CTX, they say it is hard to swing and not comfortable in the water at all. One of the hunters does use a "Swingy-Thingy" and says that works great for him. All of them have paid for their CTX's in a short period of time and most have sold their GT's. Jim Bouwer is the only one out of all the CTX owners that has had problems with his CTX and he has had all of the reported problems, except the screen. However Jim hunts both tides hunting 8 hours a day 7 days a week and he is hard on equipment (self admitted) . But he said it is the BEST wet sand detector he has ever had in his hands and would replace it tomorrow if it died. That is saying a lot.


After lunch a bunch of us went across the street to the beach for same depth tests and hunting.


The first target was a thin 10k ring, probably 4 grams. The target was buried 3 inches in damp sand then the coils raised above the target until the tone quit. The detectors were set with almost equal sensitivity.


ADD 3 inches to each depth for the "buried in the sand" of the target


The CTX sounded about 8-9 inches above the sand.
The Excal II about 6 inches above the sand
and my CZ 21 about 4 inches.


The next target was a heavy mens white gold band, I am guessing 6-7 grams.


The CTX a foot about the target........I couldn't believe it and this was with three different machines, all the same depth.
The Excal about 9-10 inch
And my CZ 21 a disappointing 6 inches, that really surprised me.


This is the first time I have seen and held a CTX and it was unbelievable how sensitive and deep it was on small gold. It is a fragile machine, but the MB hunters all say the same thing.....it was paid for in a few of weeks, now it's free. They will also admit it is NOT a good water machine, but the best wet sand machine on the market. I was made a believer yesterday with what I saw and heard. Now if I only had good wet sand beaches on the Gulf like they do in MB.
 
Upvote 0
Not to change the subject,, but where do you all think the Sov Gt fits in on the depths? Just curious.Thanks!

Some good hunters tell me they can get 3" more with the different coils on the Sov. So the coil could make a big difference.
 
Not to change the subject,, but where do you all think the Sov Gt fits in on the depths? Just curious.Thanks!

You get amazing depth using WOT and the SEF 12x15 and 15x18 butterfly coils on sov gt..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
 
Last edited:
Not to change the subject,, but where do you all think the Sov Gt fits in on the depths? Just curious.Thanks!

I'm running a 13" Ultimate on GT and get maybe 2-3" more depth than stock 10" coil. After I wore my arm out Saturday with Excal rear mounted, I grabbed my GT with hip mount out of the car. It felt like I was swinging a Tesoro. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if the surfs rough I'm using the GT on wet sand every time!
 
Last edited:
Not to change the subject,, but where do you all think the Sov Gt fits in on the depths? Just curious.Thanks!

The Sov Gt is plenty deep and plenty sensitive enough. Put a larger coil on it, like say the WOT or 12 x 15 SEF, and a quality pair of headphones, and you will rival the most deep & sensitive machines out there. Keep in mind, that it is still the preferred wet sand and shallow water machine for many successful users even today. Also keep in mind that many of the hunters making a lot of gold finds today were making the same amount of gold finds, and in some cases even more, then they are now with the newer hunting machines they're using today. Given that you already have a proven gold machine, try not to get too caught up in the, "I'll bet I'd find more gold with that machine" thing simply because that's the machine some of these other "successful gold finding people" are using. Remember, in the past, some of these folks were finding gold with much the same consistency with the very machine you're using now. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom