CTX user question

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hearing quite a bit lately about a leakage issue with the battery seal. From what I'm hearing it's nearly impossible to prevent the sand and salt from invading the seal no matter how well you keep it cleaned out. I've heard several reports of this issue. The guy I hunt with treats his CTX like a baby and he just had this battery seal issue and he keep's his machine and seals spotless. Is this something Minelab has/is addressing? It's a shame to have this type of an issue/possible issue on such a nice high dollar machine.

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew about the issue and thought they had fixed it! unacceptable for the price of the machine!!!! some may say user error but it is happening a lot! hope minelab really steps up and fixes this problem.
chuck.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I just bought a 3 month old CTX. One of the reason the guy sold it is because his buddy's leaked two times. Minelab did send him new ones back. Only used mine once so for only had it for two days. I believe it is a keeper for sure. I will not submerge it. Minelab really screwed up with the water issue no doubt. Even if the problem is user not cleaning seal properly, they should have made it less of a chore for the user. I believe the clamps may not be tight enough also. If igo into the water it's with the Excalibur or CZ 21 .

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've encountered several people who've had the same leak issues.... I dunno ... is it me? Have these fine bells and whistles, built into a boxed meter, which you cant see because its under water. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. I'll not bother to scoff at the ridiculous price.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've encountered several people who've had the same leak issues.... I dunno ... is it me? Have these fine bells and whistles, built into a boxed meter, which you cant see because its under water. The whole thing doesn't make sense to me. I'll not bother to scoff at the ridiculous price.

I will say this about the machine,...my partner, also an avid Excal man, is doing very well with his CTX on some really heavily hunted beaches, it's been very impressive once he got it tweaked in.....but,.....just too much $$$$ for something that can't handle the environment it's been touted as been able to handle. If it's advertised as being good to 10ft and good for the saltwater there shouldn't be a seal issue at all. Great hunting machine from what I can tell, but If it was a car it would have been recalled by now. :laughing7: (And rightly so considering the cost.)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3030 is water proof to 10 feet just like the AT pro. The ATs were leaking like crazy when they first came out. Mine leaked after a couple months use. I called Garrett and talked to a tech. I told him I loved the AT but what good would it do to repair it if it was just going to leak again. He guaranteed me that after the repair it wouldn't leak again. I was skeptical but Ive been using it for two years now with no more problems. I haven't heard of any ATs that were repaired to have a leaking problem again. Garrett never did say what the problem was but they got it fixed. It didn't leak into the battery compartment, it leaked into the housing somewhere. Minelab should be able to get the problem figured out.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to ask the people with leaking CTX's did they put grease on the seals attracting dirt to them?
I will keep an eye on mine this year because I dunk it every time I go to the beach. It had its first swim this year the other day.
But as long as Minelab warranties them I can't complain yet. But just because 5 guys CTX so called leaked doesn't mean it is minelabs error either. I see a lot of people thinking they know better than the manufacturer and modify their detectors all the time on the forums.
I was just as nervous dunking my Excal. When you hunt in water it may leak at sometime just the chance we take I guess no matter what brand you use.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It makes perfect sense to me.
All you need is googles and nose clips to read the meter underwater.
Plus lead shoes when you get in over your head.
I imagine you can cut a long reed to suck air.
Don't forget to rig your safety vest so the it automatically inflates at 9.99 feet so you don't exceed the depth limit (lol).

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I imagine you can cut a long reed to suck air."

don't think I haven't thought about that!!!!!

love the design of the ctx and hope minelab will get it right! or maybe whites or fisher.:thumbsup:
chuck.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I imagine you can cut a long reed to suck air."

don't think I haven't thought about that!!!!!

love the design of the ctx and hope minelab will get it right! or maybe whites or fisher.:thumbsup:
chuck.

Fisher let me down on a simple screen replacement. Im looking at a Whites V3 now. But Im gonna make the dealer prove the V3 is better than my F75.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have to ask the people with leaking CTX's did they put grease on the seals attracting dirt to them?
I will keep an eye on mine this year because I dunk it every time I go to the beach. It had its first swim this year the other day.
But as long as Minelab warranties them I can't complain yet. But just because 5 guys CTX so called leaked doesn't mean it is minelabs error either. I see a lot of people thinking they know better than the manufacturer and modify their detectors all the time on the forums.
I was just as nervous dunking my Excal. When you hunt in water it may leak at sometime just the chance we take I guess no matter what brand you use.
A lot of people say they use the silicone grease on their CZ21 seals but the manual doesn't say to use it. When I first took mine apart there was no grease on the rubber gasket and I haven't added any. If it fails I know it wasn't my fault. My AT pro did have silicone grease on the O ring and I put it on it all the time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread