What's new

Cup with upside down butterflies mark

Sticks1

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
61
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
I need help identifying this mark. I have researched book and on the internet for information. I have been told it could possibly be a Japanese merchant ship or steam ship marking from the 19th century. These are two crossed Japanese flags, there are no other markings on the bottom. When looking straight at the cup, the 2 butterflies appear upside down. Any information on this mark and cup would be greatly appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • Jonphotoshoot5 334.webp
    Jonphotoshoot5 334.webp
    7.7 KB · Views: 455
  • Jonphotoshoot5 327.webp
    Jonphotoshoot5 327.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 417
Am I missing something :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
I'm not seeing any butterflies :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Tim
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a Japanese mark but its only a guess, I will wait for other to ID :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
I think he is referring to the 'crossed Japanese flags' as being butterflies. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Hi it look`s like an upsidedown butterfly on front but very fuzzy better pic needed
 
Upvote 0
Here are better, focused pictures. The upside down butterflies are on the outside of the cup. These pictures will explain in greater detail. The 2 crossed Japanese flags on the bottom are a mystery also.
Hopefully these pictures will clarify this post. I have searched every porcelain mark book and checked the internet and am unable to locate a match.
 

Attachments

  • Jonphotoshoot5 368.webp
    Jonphotoshoot5 368.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Jonphotoshoot5 369.webp
    Jonphotoshoot5 369.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 349
  • Jonphotoshoot5 370.webp
    Jonphotoshoot5 370.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 338
  • Jonphotoshoot5 371.webp
    Jonphotoshoot5 371.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Jonphotoshoot5 372.webp
    Jonphotoshoot5 372.webp
    21.2 KB · Views: 325
Upvote 0
Welcome to TreasureNet Sticks1 :icon_thumleft:
You are right, this is isn't easy to find on the net :help:

You no doubt, have already visited this site
http://gotheborg.com/marks/index_jap_marks.htm
and found the porcelain of AA Vantine with the crossed flags.
I know they are the Japanese and Chinese Flags,
interposed with the Turkish Star and Crescent,
but I am going to make a wild supposition ;D and suggest;
We know, Vantine sourced his porcelain works, at least, from Japan.
The Japanese porcelain works used the crossed Flags as its 'Logo'.
And, following Japan invading China in the 1930's,
the works maintained the crossed Flags theme,
but obviously more introspectively 8)
This first pic shows a Japanese flag similar to your example, apparently from around 1910-1920.
aa vantine porcelain 10\'s20\'s.webp

This next pic shows a different style Japanese flag, apparently more likely 1920-1930's BUT notice the similar 'stipple' effect on one of the pots in the pic compared to your example.
aa vantine porcelain 20\'s30\'s.webp

So, I hope I have made sense :tongue3:
What I am suggesting is that this was made by one of the Japanese Porcelain 'Factories' which had been supplying AA Vantine at least until the 1930's.

Mike
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom