What's new

curious heavy iron object

castletonking

Full Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Messages
245
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
castleton vt.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone seen or have any idea what this is? I've shown it to a few people and no one has any idea,it's approx 8 inches long and 2 inches wide,it's made of iron and very heavy to lift.it was found about 6 inches in the ground near where I found the steam train journal box cover.I'm thinking some kind of weight,but no real idea.
 

Attachments

  • mail.webp
    mail.webp
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,541
  • mail.webp
    mail.webp
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,508
  • mail.webp
    mail.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,514
Yes it does. Perhaps a place to connect a chain, but is it big enough for that? Some kind of eye, maybe. Perhaps it is a tractor weight for the front end. If it is 2 miles back to your car, pack it out and weigh it. If it is close to a number like 50, then maybe. The lopsided end could have been alternated to avoid crushed fingers.
 
Upvote 0
High Plains Digger said:
Yes it does. Perhaps a place to connect a chain, but is it big enough for that? Some kind of eye, maybe. Perhaps it is a tractor weight for the front end. If it is 2 miles back to your car, pack it out and weigh it. If it is close to a number like 50, then maybe. The lopsided end could have been alternated to avoid crushed fingers.
could very well be,it is more than large enough to hold a chain,it's quite a large piece the pix dont do it justice.the lopsided end is molded that way and the end is rounded off.could well be a weight
 
Upvote 0
broken connecting rod end that powers the wheels on a steam locomotive or jenny?

or........ broken car coupler from a train?

was there any logging in the area where it was found?
 
Upvote 0
dozer dan said:
broken connecting rod end that powers the wheels on a steam locomotive or jenny?

or........ broken car coupler from a train?

was there any logging in the area where it was found?
there was logging at the turn of the century,19th into 20th.there is also a rail line across the river from me thats been there since the 1840's.funny thing is ,this was found near the place i found a journal box cover for a railraod that went out of exhistance in the late 1890's.it was identified as a connecting rod on another page as well.
 
Upvote 0
I vote coupler :icon_thumright:

Jonnie
 
Upvote 0
Hi, I found this pic of a steam locomotive and circled a possibility. This may be what was posted as part of a connecting rod that turns the wheels :dontknow: Paul :coffee2:
 

Attachments

  • 127784212337Gs6M.webp
    127784212337Gs6M.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0
From the pics, it doesn't appear that there are any broken edges......it looks like an original form. Whatever it is, it's heavy duty!

Oh yeah, what's all that white stuff on the ground???? ;D (my a/c is running)
 
Upvote 0
I agree
My first thought was a tooth, due to the shape and configuration of the built up and shaped end
Brady
 
Upvote 0
I think it's a type of brake or stop. It only does not allow a rotating part to roll backward. It only allows movement in one direction. Looks like something used in railroad.
 
Upvote 0
Its a tow hitch for a chain or strap to attach to. I have seen them on the MB4 Tractors I work with. They are used in very heavy towing application. 3rd pic down has a pair on the back, http://www.surpluscity.com/mb4-tug.htm . The attached pic is someones toy model tank but gives good representation.
 

Attachments

  • Tank Tow.webp
    Tank Tow.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 597
Upvote 0
Ammietuar said:
Its a tow hitch for a chain or strap to attach to. I have seen them on the MB4 Tractors I work with. They are used in very heavy towing application. 3rd pic down has a pair on the back, http://www.surpluscity.com/mb4-tug.htm . The attached pic is someones toy model tank but gives good representation.
awsome!!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom