What's new

✅ SOLVED Milk glass lid?

Evan in CA

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
2,048
Reaction score
17,133
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this piece of milk glass. It has no markings on the glass but it had some kind of decorative sheet metal around it that is possibly tin. The milk glass is in the shape of a small bowl about 3 inches wide. I put a rusty bottle cap in the last picture for size reference. I took it home to possibly use for an ashtray although I don’t think it’s an ashtray. Any ideas? Thanks
IMG_2411.webp
IMG_2413.webp
IMG_2414.webp
 
looks like a canning jar lid
1778237994185.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
looks like a canning jar lid View attachment 2252994
I don’t think that’s what it is although I’ve been wrong before. The metal piece seemed to thin and didn’t have any treads, also all the lids I’ve seen have maker marks this one doesn’t. I will add more photos of it cleaned up.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Looks just like a small bowl to me. My wife has a bunch of glass ones about that
size that she uses to hold various ingredients while cooking.
 
Upvote 0
I believe we have a winner here. Thats the closest match I can find on google. Old highway was built in the 40s right above where I found it. And other car parts are around the area from cars going off the road.
IMG_2437.webp
IMG_2416.webp
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Thanks you everyone for your replies. I will mark solved tomorrow in case someone can nail down the vehicle make. Or other matches.
 
Upvote 0
Update, when I got home yesterday and took another look at it, I now don’t think it a dome light cover because the inside of the bowl is the finished side and the bottom is rough and not smooth unlike the inside.
 
Upvote 0
Looks just like a small bowl to me. My wife has a bunch of glass ones about that
size that she uses to hold various ingredients while cooking.
It maybe just a bowl, but what gets me is it had a metal band around it. I never seen a bowl with metal around it like this.
IMG_2412.webp
IMG_2414.webp
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Might it be the base rather than the lid of a cold cream (face cream) jar? This one is Edwardian and 'Oatine' branded (on both the lid and the base of the milk glass liner). This one has a similar profile (domed but with a flattened bottom). I would guess there were many variations according to manufacturer.

Oatine1.webp

Oatine2.webp
 
Upvote 0
Might it be the base rather than the lid of a cold cream (face cream) jar? This one is Edwardian and 'Oatine' branded (on both the lid and the base of the milk glass liner). This one has a similar profile (domed but with a flattened bottom). I would guess there were many variations according to manufacturer.

View attachment 2253210
View attachment 2253211
I think that makes the most sense. Thank you for your help. I will mark solved. Thank you everyone for your input to get this solved.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom