CUT MASS SILVER & 1699 COB & CUT 1717 2R & 2 BIT BOSSES & MORE!

deepseeker3

Feb 6, 2010
Green Bay, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome Hunt CP..
Does not get any earlier than that. .
I vote BANNER. .
George

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely amazing finds. I compared the SA in the red book and I think it may be an Oak Tree Shilling. They're all similar but the large opening on the top of the S and the even thickness of the A makes me think Oak. 1660-1667

Congrats! Not only were those pieces tiny, they're also from a "junk" field!

Banner

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Scrappy that it's likely from an Oak tree. You can eliminate a lot of coins by the gap in the top of the A above the bar. It looks a bit similar to the NOE 5 shilling but it's a tough one and I can't stare at this book anymore. Certainly easy to eliminate a lot of the varieties. Regardless it's super cool that you have a piece of Mass silver in your growing collection. Is it your first CP?

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Hooked Fastener - UK Finds Database -
I have never seen the above turn up in the US. These clothes hooks are squarely 16-17th C (forget the range on the link) & have been recorded in context.
You have lots of great finds, but that one surprises me. We use it as a base indicator for possible nearby hammered coins!

Thanks for the ID on this item. I dug one last summer and had no idea what it was. As a joke I referred to it as a colonial paper clip.

Attachments

• clothes clip.jpg
    clothes clip.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you guys nailed it. You can see the die breaks or whatever they are over top the ND of NEW ENGLAND and AN of ANO.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you guys nailed it. You can see the die breaks or whatever they are over top the ND of NEW ENGLAND and AN of ANO.

Yup NOE 6or7. Very cool to be able to id it bud. That's awesome

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the A looks like the 5 but the die crack looks like the 6/7. Have a look
image.jpg

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds :icon_thumright:

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, you had an awesome day! I see your links are from Jefferson Patterson, are you in the Southern Maryland area? The property that JP sits on and the colonial artifacts they dig there, belonged to my family from 1663-1809. I sure would love to detect that place or any where in the area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, you had an awesome day! I see your links are from Jefferson Patterson, are you in the Southern Maryland area? The property that JP sits on and the colonial artifacts they dig there, belonged to my family from 1663-1809. I sure would love to detect that place or any where in the area.

Which links would they be??? I'm on the Eastern Shore.

Edit: oh duh, I see what you mean. I was thinking you were referring to the cufflinks. LMAO

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome that it's been positively id'd. Nothing is lamer then not getting an ID or date.

Now go ID that mystery copper!!!

Aug 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus W/11" coil and 9" HF coil, Garrett AT Pro W/5x8 coil
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Which links would they be??? I'm on the Eastern Shore.

Edit: oh duh, I see what you mean. I was thinking you were referring to the cufflinks. LMAO

Yeah, the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory is at Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum. I don't think they'll let me detect there. The other side of my family is from the Eastern Shore Centerville, Grasonville, Rock Hall.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah, the Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory is at Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum. I don't think they'll let me detect there. The other side of my family is from the Eastern Shore Centerville, Grasonville, Rock Hall.

Well heck, just hunt there. That stuff is crazy old too. Ive been all through there years ago running service calls. Never had time to hunt there - too far away. Lots of ag fields. I think thats the oldest or one of the oldest Maryland settlements on this side of the bay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread