What's new

cut nails ?

1shotwade

Full Member
Joined
May 29, 2014
Messages
190
Reaction score
107
Golden Thread
0
Location
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have access to an old log cabin that they say is 300 years old. There are tons of 3-3 1/2 inch cut nails. Do they have any value? Also,I keep hearing about "rose bud" nails. Can anyone tell me what they are and how I would ID them?
Thanks y'all!

Wade
 
Hey wade I seen one guy on here who had sold some square nails bigfoot I think.I dont think they have much value though.We dug about 5lbs of them recently rusty but all straight not bent at all
 
Square nails may seem to be a nuisance for many to dig but at the same time they can be useful in determining the age of a home or structure that is no longer there. Of course that dating range can be quite an expanse, but in context with other artifacts, it does all weigh in as important. If you run into large amounts of them, it may have been the result of a house that had burnt down. All in all though, there is little value to them, but I myself keep them and try stabilizing the rust although with nails it is not easy to get good examples when it is all done. Rose head nails are recognizable from their head, being pointed up like in this illustration. I find them quite nice as they are older generally and have much more of a craftsman style.

DSC09855.webp
 
"Rosehead" nails

Look like this:
8c42313175ecfc3e491ed19ea2c64f75.webp

Much older thn cut nails.
 
Well,hey! At least now I know what to look for! Thanks y'all!

Wade
 
I sold a bunch to a lady who makes rustic frames for nature photos.Also a guy who makes ghost town bird houses.Ask your local arts and crafts store if there are any special requests,ya never know
cheers
 
Nails were not used to build log cabins. Later additions to the original structure...yes. Rose head nails are completely hand made by a blacksmith and are the oldest of nails. There is some value in both types of nails but the market isn't what it used to be say...20 years ago.
 
I enjoy finding old nails! That being said some of the old homesteads I've worked had hundreds of them, so a little (very little) detector discrimination was necessary to keep me sane.
 
I found a "rosehead" nail a couple days back and saved it because of this thread. I never knew the history of nails. Thanks for posting!

I tried the hot peroxide method to get the crust off with okay results. It's in the deep freezer currently. I'll post when I get the crud off.
 
Great! Can't wait to see it. Thanks for posting.

Wade
 
Great! Can't wait to see it. Thanks for posting.

Wade

You're certainly welcome! It isn't anything special. Just really old nail with a hand forged head. I've tried the hydrogen peroxide method to loosen dirt, as well as the Super Wash Powder and boiling water method, but it just isn't coming as clean as I wanted. I gave up last night and hit it with CLR, but even that didn't do much. It's baking in the oven currently on 200*, so we'll see what that does. I just read about this last technique in the cleaning section. Either way, I'm done fooling with it and it will get a coating of Vaseline tomorrow before I snap a pic.
 
Last edited:
Are dem rose head nails there Charlie.vanzutphen
 
Okay, so it didn't turn out spectacular, but It's probably been in the ground for 200 years or possibly much longer. The baking project did get some of the crust off, but not as much as I had hoped. I'd be willing to try this method on a coin, but I would definitely use the bake method before trying anything else.

Pics on a table I made:
DSCF1660_zps63fa80df.webp

DSCF1658_zpsb3b59916.webp

DSCF1657_zps7d3e4fd9.webp
 
It is what it is ! some things just can't be fixed! At least it's part of a memory for you. Thanks for taking the time to show us.

Wade
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom