What's new

CW bullet ID needed - .69 foreign? - SOLVED

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,540
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to get some input on what these two .69 CW bullets are exactly. :dontknow:
Both were dug in the same yard area (30' apart) of an 1830's house that was in the center of a one day battle here in NC on April 15th, 1865.
When I dug the first one last year I thought it was an Austrian .69 from Crouch's book as shown in the picture below.
After posting my second one yesterday though, I think Vayank may be correct with his reply because of the blunt noses:

"I thought it was an Austrian myself but wasn't sure as it has a blunt nose. Mason and McKee have it listed as a Foreign rifled musket bullet and the NST price guide has it listed at $30 to $35. A lot better bullet than a regular .69 3 ring. They also have that the bullet was used by both sides."

Thanks VAYANK. :thumbsup:

Any other guesses so I can label these and put them to rest in my display?

Thanks,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-106S.webp
    MVC-106S.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 184
  • MVC-089S.webp
    MVC-089S.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 185
  • MVC-090S.webp
    MVC-090S.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 178
  • MVC-091S.webp
    MVC-091S.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 184
  • MVC-092S.webp
    MVC-092S.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 185
  • MVC-093S.webp
    MVC-093S.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 180
  • MVC-094S.webp
    MVC-094S.webp
    19.6 KB · Views: 183
  • MVC-106S.webp
    MVC-106S.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 183
Re: CW bullet ID needed - .69 foreign?

Looking at the bases on these I'd have to stick with the Foreign Rifled Musket ID The bullets do look a lot like Austrians but the Austrians have shallower cavities and will have either a teat or a flat bottom in the cavity while the Foreign rifled musket has a deep curved cone type cavity. Also I believe the Austrians have a thicker skirt than the bullets pictured.
 
Upvote 0
Re: CW bullet ID needed - .69 foreign? = SOLVED

Thanks VAYANK.
I'll consider this one solved. :thumbsup:
-Doug-
 
Upvote 0
:icon_thumright: Nice ID VAYANK.
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
Man Doug.

Your finding them all over now~


Nice.

Get ready to dig some RW lead this week

I am ready. I'll put some fresh batteries in the Silver Umax and a new coil cover too, so I can have a fighting chance with you. ;D
-Doug-
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom