What's new

CW suspects??

jopher

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2003
Messages
1,691
Reaction score
43
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Several years ago while hunting an overgrown apple orchard near an out of the way cellar hole , I unearthed an Eagle belt plate. Not the norm for cent. Mi , but there it was and I was happy to find it.
I returned to that site yesterday and although I only found a couple of items , I was left with a sense of wonder....maybe there was a camp here?
Ill offer these finds up for your consideration (keeping the belt plate in mind as well) and would appreciate your thoughts.
First item found....a three tine , wooden handled , tin fork......looks familiar.
PICT0001_0001.webp
Next item....Unmarked spoon..round shaft..made of lead....is there some time line on lead utensils??
PICT0005_0001.webp
Third item...Brass ,coke bottle style folding knife...marked NW C8.
PICT0006_0001.webp
PICT0007_0001.webp
Final item...Scovill Eagle button...penny size..two piece.
PICT0002_0001.webp
PICT0003_0001.webp
Of the items dug , I thought the tin fork was the most compelling.Looks alot like CW period military....but I really dont have any knowlege in this area.
and thats why your thoughts .....again....are appreciated
Thanks...Joe
 
Great finds, Ill check back later to see what everyone says. :dontknow: I dont know anything about these items!!
 
Upvote 0
The fork is civil war or earlier. the spoon is pewter and probably precivil war. The knife I don't know. The eagle button is an 1850's period eagle button that is commonly found in civil war camps. That type of backmark RMDC (Raised Mark Depressed Channel) is usually 1850's to 1860. There are a few exceptions that are later. The RMDC Scovills is always 1850's to 60 though.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
The fork is civil war or earlier. the spoon is pewter and probably precivil war. The knife I don't know. The eagle button is an 1850's period eagle button that is commonly found in civil war camps. That type of backmark RMDC (Raised Mark Depressed Channel) is usually 1850's to 1860. There are a few exceptions that are later. The RMDC Scovills is always 1850's to 60 though.
This info actually falls in line with the belt plate as (although not certain) I believe it is an 1855 variety. kinda cool to link some of these items together.
You believe the spoon is pewter? I imagined pewter as hard/brittle. This spoon is very soft and flexible.
 
Upvote 0
The spoon looks to be pewter. There are different grades of pewter. If I could see it in person I could tell you for sure but I'd say it's pewter as it looks like ones I've dug. I've also naver heard of or seen a lead spoon but it's possible I guess. If I remember correctly the belt plate was 1850's or 60's period.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The spoon is most certainly pewter and pre-CW. The fork, as vayank said, is at least mid-1800s. It's funny--that ferrule on the fork I have seen and dug many times, and always wondered what it went to. Well, now I know. :thumbsup:

Buckles
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
The spoon is most certainly pewter and pre-CW. The fork, as vayank said, is at least mid-1800s. It's funny--that ferrule on the fork I have seen and dug many times, and always wondered what it went to. Well, now I know. :thumbsup:

Buckles
I've seen the same type of ferrules on old knives as well.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom