D-Tex Detectors

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
There might be people who collect them, they still talk about them. You should get some responces.

Kelley (Texas)

Jul 12, 2003
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1225X
D-Tex Detectors were manufactured in the 1960's...........

in Dallas or Garland, Texas.? I may be wrong, but the owner of the company may have been related to Charles Garrett.?

A

aoa2fly

carmstrng,

I found this address and information on the D-Tex detector after doing a Google search. I hope it helps.

D-tex Technologies 3519 Miller Park Dr Garland TX 75042 214-487-6723

Best Regards,

Clyde Ramstead

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Do a Google search on D-Tex metal detectors and you will see some more information(Also info on who repairs older detectors). Those of us who were active in the 60's remember Bill Mahan and his D-Tex detectors. An early pioneer with great finds. I used to reread his book countless times about metal detecting on Padre Island and finding all those old Spanish coins(Before it became a park and illegal). D-Tex detectors in the 60's were BFO models and when the TR models came out in the 70's they became obsolete. I believe an attempt to restart the D-Tex line was made in the 80's but I don't think anything became of it. On occasion you see them sold as antique detectors(I didn't say valuable). You can't upgrade a BFO. Sounds like you have a nice reminder of the times you spend with your dad when you were young.

George

C

czman

My second detector in 1971 was a BFO model by d-Tex..Found a good bit of stuff but put in a lot of time with it...Wish I could go back to those times with my cz5 now...LOL...You see a few on E Bay, people still want them...HH

Kelley (Texas)

Jul 12, 2003
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1225X
This is bringing back some great memories.? In the early 1970's, there was a treasure shop in Garland, Texas that was called the Treasure Hunting League or something like that.? I still have some of the old newspaper type magazines from there.? I had just started metal detecting and bought a Garrett Master Hunter BFO.? I am trying to think of the man's name that owned the shop...might have been Al Smith?? Later, I think he may have died of cancer in Arizona.? The D-Tex metal detector was very popular.? Those were some great times!

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
I collect old detectors. And I have several D-Tex. The info given already is correct. D-Tex had no relation to Garrett .

As far as upgrading goes. I don't think that would be possible. The electronics is very outdated. The only thing useable would be the case. They are "antique" by todays standard. One thing that is interesting is that they claimed to be able to find paper money! I have tested them to this claim and have had no luck.

I do have literature, magazines and a couple manuals. I would be happy to make copies of any that you may want. What models are they and are they working?

Mark S.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread