dabbled in dimes again

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday was my big dump day...had six boxes of halves to get rid of. Seems like each time I go to dump I hear more and more from the tellers about "the silver ones", collectors and how they have so many people asking for halves.

Anyway, since I don't pick up my halves until friday and I felt like searching last night, I picked up three boxes of dimes from different banks. Ended up with a 1947 and a 1962. Not great results but still enough to make it fun. Now off to dump the dimes and see if the halves are in.

Upvote 0
2 out of 3 ain't bad.

So how do you dump the dimes? Just return them in the plastic rolls? Tellers are VERY unhappy with me when I bring anything back in original rolls. Coin counters scare me off due to nightmares with miscounts.

Nice finds.

hokiemojo said:
2 out of 3 ain't bad.

So how do you dump the dimes? Just return them in the plastic rolls? Tellers are VERY unhappy with me when I bring anything back in original rolls. Coin counters scare me off due to nightmares with miscounts.

Nice finds.

Hokiemojo...there are a few banks near me that have coin counters (except they don't take halves), so I usually use those for dimes. They are not the fastest machines, but beats rolling. While dumping today I came up 90 cents short, which isn't too bad considering some of the dimes were cwr's which are often short.

Dimes are and a great back up when you can't find halves...
But, they pay out just isnt nearly as good.
HH!

No machines that I know of where I live so I have to roll all of my dumps. I try to do dimes and nickels just to have other coins with me instead of just halves so that I fit more of a coin collector image at my banks. They are always happy about getting the other coins and only groan when I give them the dime, nickel, or penny box filled with 200 - 300 in halves. It was kind of funny this week, I think that every bank I dumped at, every tellers said, "see you next week." The only boxes I don't use again are the half boxes. At some of my banks when I tell them this is a full box of dimes or nickels they don't even count them any more which saves a lot of time.

Every once in a while I bring in my The Official US Mint Kennedy book and show them a proof that I found and act as happy and as proud as can be.

Got a good box of dimes today with 8 silver FDR's and my last nickel box had 4 war nickels and 2 buffalos, (1937 and dateless).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back