Dagger - likely Alaskan

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this dagger is from the late 1800's- early 1900's. I think it is Athabaskan and from Alaska. It is approximately 12 inches long and two inches wide at the blade. It is made of steel. The grip is wrapped copper wire with wood or some other organic material under the wrapping.

The curly ends are rolled into pinwheel like shapes. The blade is beveled on the "front" and flat on the "back". The photos are of the front and back.

I bought it with a collection of antiquities at a thrift store in NJ. I am trying to determine its age and value.

Thanks

Randazzo1

Attachments

• treasurenet_dagge1.jpg
    treasurenet_dagge1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 825
  • treasurenet_dagge2.jpg
    treasurenet_dagge2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 804

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'm curious why you think an Alaskan dagger would have gotten to New Jersey.

From your description, the blade portion of the piece would have to be 12 inches long. The handle and extensions would have to extend beyond that. Or, your description of the blade being 2 inches wide is totally out of proportion.

I'm thinking it might have had a different usage, but something that might have been used in Alaska as well: part of a flencing knife for cutting blubber from whale, walrus, or seal.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I described it to an antiquities dealer I met on a plane and she drew a picture of a dagger which looked very similar and then explained that it was a native alaskan design. She was thrown off by the fact that it had a wrapped copper handle because she had never seen one like that before. It may well be a reproduction that was made in New Jersey. But it wouldn't suprise me at all for it to have been from Alaska (or anywhere else in the world) and end up in the good old garden state.

I searched Alaskan Daggers on the internet and found the Athabaskan dagger which looks like a similar blade - but has a very decorative carved pommel.

Randazzo1

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
What you have is often called a "Yukon" dagger. Yours was probably made from a file in the 19th century. The flat side/bevel side and the curls are characteristic of these knives. Early examples are made of copper.

A truly spectacular thrift store find. Get a professional appraisal, or if you are going to sell it, go with one of the big auction houses that have Native American sales.

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lucas. "Yukon Dagger" has a very nice ring to it. I could be fooling myself, but I think I can actually see some of striation from a file. I researched knives made from files and apparently it was a pretty common practice. I guess the files made for readily available steel blanks. Very cool.

I will try to get someone to confirm that it isn't a repro. I didn't have any attachment to it and wanted to sell it - but if its really made from a file I might have to keep it - too much pioneer history there to let it go.

Randazzo1

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
If I got my hands on one, I would never let it go. Museum quality!

I have never seen a good repro of one of these. Originals were made by Native Americans in central AK.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions