Dallas

Jdubbya74

Jan 6, 2014
Denton County Tx
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lake lewisville was really low and my boys and I had some luck this summer. I have a spot that used to be a beach in the 30s but have yet to try it. Hit me up if you want to try it, it's close to Little Elm

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a couple native american sites from the old days. Heavy rains exposed a lot. I just left them there. My time for collecting is long over. Leave it for the youngsters now...

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm in Plano and would like to try that beach!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Bling, But I hit up an old park in Dallas a couple weeks ago, right before the "pride parade" lol and found a super heavy James Avery silver ring...and apparently, the area i was in was full of Pride..lol

But I would rather deal with that , then Homeless people asking me for my change

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a park on Swiss Avenue and didn't get anything, the one by the dog park. I'd probably have better luck in the dog park but frankly it's pretty gross looking in there. Haven't been out in a while but hoping to continue my research into the California Crossing area. There's so much history there, I'm rather certain something might show up. The area is easy to get to and there are a ton of trails and people doing their own thing. I'm waiting for the weather to improve before I try much of anything more I guess. The heavy rains, intensity wise, do give me hope that some areas might be easier to check out due to runoff?

EdwarDallas

Jan 1, 2015
Old East Dallas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Pinpointer "Carrot"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live a block from Swiss Avenue. Is the wide median legal to metal detect? Such a beautiful, historic area. Where is California Crossing?

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live a block from Swiss Avenue. Is the wide median legal to metal detect? Such a beautiful, historic area. Where is California Crossing?

From what I understand and have been able to do, yep, the wide median is fine. I was heading over toward the hospital and checking grassy areas. Mostly trash but the ground was pretty easy to work with. I wonder if there's much historical stuff hiding around the area, maybe even more toward Live Oak Street. I haven't been there in a while but if you're close there might be some neat 'undisturbed' looking spots to give a try on.

California Crossing is over in Irving / Las Colinas. It's got a city park on most all of it, and it's big! I mean, like really sprawling and stuff. There is a lot of wild tree growth that have some paths within them for walking/jogging. I've been waiting for the weather to get nicer (I mostly get out early AM on weekends when I go) so I can start going in areas that aren't of interest to people who exercise over there. There are clear-cut / chopped down areas and also some paved paths that wind along the Trinity. Haven't tried the detector out there yet, just did some recon.

Hope this helps a little!

OP
OP
P

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've hunted the wide median several times. Silver dime, Silver St Christopher's charm. Some clad. Its city property. I think its been hit pretty hard. We started at one end and over a period of time worked our was down. Don't think we made it all the way. Wasn't finding much. Dog tags, etc .

Last edited:

EdwarDallas

Jan 1, 2015
Old East Dallas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. I live around the corner and have never seen someone detect the wide median. I'll have to check out California Crossing park some time. Thanks for your input.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. I live around the corner and have never seen someone detect the wide median. I'll have to check out California Crossing park some time. Thanks for your input.

Your best bet is to drive around looking for recently scraped lots...Our area is flooded with metal detectorists and has been for years. So most the time we are out finding what others left behind, or on the rare occasion , we will find an untouched area. I'm hoping to get out in a couple hours...I just know its gonna be a cold wet one..lol

EdwarDallas

Jan 1, 2015
Old East Dallas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Diggin-N-Dumps! You have some great finds! I'm never sure who to ask for permission for places being torn up.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Diggin-N-Dumps! You have some great finds! I'm never sure who to ask for permission for places being torn up.

Well, Alot of times in Fort Worth, The city has taken over the property and its pretty much free game. I really will hunt any open lot or spot that doesn't have posted signs telling me to keep out.

On a fresh lot, you should be good to go. Ive hunted 100s of abandoned homes that were condemned by the city and never had any issues. ive had cops come up to me while I was doing it and they only told me to be careful in the neghborhood i was in.

Oh yea....the secret to a good spot is finding the most dangerous old neighborhood you know of..lol

Really thou, alot of the areas Im in, I cant detect with headphones on, I have to be able to watch and hear things around me

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I knew a guy who wore out coils on Swiss medians. Not saying he got it all but he tried.

OP
OP
P

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he got it all lol

EdwarDallas

Jan 1, 2015
Old East Dallas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm more interested in searching the private properties in the area.

herk

Jun 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Rockwall area. I want to go to old ghost towns somewhere in a 2 1/2 hr radius. Any suggestions? I'd be up for a group of 2-3 to get out hunting

EdwarDallas

Jan 1, 2015
Old East Dallas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd do that, Herk. I'm in Dallas most weekends. Not sure where nearby ghost towns are nor if they are on private property, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread