✅ SOLVED Dalton? Unfluted Clovis?

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this today when I took one of my horses into our new round pen to do some training. Our round pen is in our pasture on an appx. 25 foot hill in northwest ga. I have been leveling out the soil in the area with our tractor. After a year of looking in our two creeks and finding only 3 scrapers and a knife I find my best find ever where I never would have thought to look. I cleaned off the mud and it is in great shape. It has a concave base and one side has a thumb size area that is polished looking with what I think is scattered peck marks. Any help in identifying is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    907.1 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1944.PNG
    IMG_1944.PNG
    770.8 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! :love10: Now that's an amazing find!
Congratulations on making your first BANNER too! :occasion14:

Dave

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you pepperj! That is a great question! Right now it is safe in one of my grandfather's wooden Old Spice boxes wrapped in white tissue paper. I think I'm going to put it in its own frame and display it with the gorgeous handmade bow my brother made for me. This is the only "arrowhead" I had ever found until today, but it is by far and I think will probably remain the best one I ever find. Do you have any ideas for displaying it?

Riker Boxes make displaying your small finds very easy... you can find them on Amazon.com :thumbsup:

Dave

(Sorry Jim, I couldn't resist responding buddy! :laughing7: )

Attachments

• il_570xN_548054446_1ygl.jpg
    il_570xN_548054446_1ygl.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 64

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Absolutely beautiful. Looks more like a Clovis point according to pictures and descriptions. Congratulations on a great find!

SweepNbeep

Mar 3, 2017
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
I only read the first 5 pages of replies to this thread, so forgive me if someone has already mentioned this. To me it looks like the material has moss trapped in it, and that is where it is getting its green color from. It especially looks like that with the light behind it. If you have ever seen a moss agate, such as those frequently found in Montana, you know what I'm talking about. Either way it is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on a great find. Sometimes those purely accidental discoveries are the best.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Riker case is fine for a temporary fix, but that point deserves a nice wooden case with a velvet background that shows off the point's color the best. Small ones like a 6 x 9 are very affordable, way cheaper than you can set up and make one yourself, unless time is not a factor and where building it is just a labor of love.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Sandchip! Do you know a good company to buy one from? Any suggestions on what color background? I'm still trying to find out what type point it really is. There are many different opinions. I just want to know for sure since it is the first I found and probably the nicest I'll ever find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Sweepnbeep! I have never seen agate before. My creek is full of chert, jasper, and some waxy flint. I did find a smaller point in the same area that looks like maybe it was made from the same material, but from a small leftover piece. Still has cortex on the back of the point.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this as a "banner find" Sweet !

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troy Futral from Dothan, Alabama is who I get all my frames from. There are more elaborate and far more expensive cases available, but it can get to the point where the case is outshining the artifacts displayed in it. Troy is a great guy who is at most shows in the Southeast, always generous to the kids and for years has sponsored the Dothan show which is one of the best shows around. He has cases in a variety of woods and sizes and also velvet inserts in several colors. His numbers are 334-821-5823 or 334-703-4313. Here is a 6 x 9 in red cedar.

case.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It being a Triangle shaped point for me is a hard decision as to what to call it. IMO its one of these Copena, Dalton or if there is a flute a Red Stone. But I just cant decide on it. Very nice point for sure.

DieterD

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garretts250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Das is amazing. Just beauty. Nice colors.

Hawk_

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2017
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found many points also in my life. But none of them have been this particular color. That is a heck of a find. beautiful!! I don't know the type either . It is not a Clovis of that I am sure. The Clovis points have what is called a flute where the arrow shaft would fit into the point. But this is an awesome point.

aiyanakai

May 11, 2017
West Tawakoni
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is from the Tiucuan tribe that inhabitited northeast Florida up to South Carolina, they wer a huge tribe numbering over 180,000. You can find the type and material on the timucua weapons link. Beautiful!! I love the stone

hnanney

Jun 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find. The material to me looks like green jasper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread