✅ SOLVED Dalton? Unfluted Clovis?

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this today when I took one of my horses into our new round pen to do some training. Our round pen is in our pasture on an appx. 25 foot hill in northwest ga. I have been leveling out the soil in the area with our tractor. After a year of looking in our two creeks and finding only 3 scrapers and a knife I find my best find ever where I never would have thought to look. I cleaned off the mud and it is in great shape. It has a concave base and one side has a thumb size area that is polished looking with what I think is scattered peck marks. Any help in identifying is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    907.1 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    576.3 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_1944.PNG
    IMG_1944.PNG
    770.8 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1925.JPG
    IMG_1925.JPG
    695.3 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1927.JPG
    IMG_1927.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 470
Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bear, in addition to a big "Congrats!" on making banner, those horses need a good pat on the back or apple or something for not stepping on that point and ruining your day.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to love how indian arrow heads are like bullets from the past and scattered where you least expect to find them.

Have to wonder what the story is behind that arrow head. Was it lost hunting or in some great battle. I would think most arrows that could be recovered were picked up and taken again, unlike the lead bullets of today. Craftmanship of that quality wasn't intentionally disgarded.

Congrats on the beautiful find.

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Congrats my fellow Georgian! That is a BEAUTIFUL point! Gives me hope that I will finally find one in the many creeks here north of Atlanta. Bonus points for owning horses! Congrats again!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That point is awesome! The color is unreal! Congrats on a great find

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well what a great honor getting Banner on your 1st point find, congrats. Hopefully somebody will come along and tell us all what type it is.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Your beautiful find matches the color of your eyes..... Lovely, congratulations!!

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! so happy it is a banner find as I missed the original post and so nice to see your find up there! The material, color, and patina are unique and superb. I see as others Dalton, Santa Fe, and Clovis Characteristics. In my opinion early Clovis variant. As far as the stone in the creeks and fields by you do you find similar colored stone? Or does it stand alone from everything else you see. You may consider reaching out to archaeologist at a university or a museum in your area to get a more positive ID. It may be a Georgia significant find/site. Find some more, and thanks for sharing!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratz on banner! I would to know what the material is, it is so unusual looking and beautiful!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a looker
Congrats

Kentuck

Mar 16, 2017
Ellinger, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Here in Texas, the exact same shaped 'arrowheads' are found. Here is the description of it in the book, "Digging Into South Texas Prehistory", "These specimens may be knives, and some may be pre-forms. It is not certain if this is a 'real' type. Archaic.
'

Last edited:

Dig-Dug

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, while I was looking for Native American land to hunt on in my area I came across this image. Very similar to yours I thought it may be related since you mentioned your piece is more grey in color to the naked eye...again great find. This is a Pomo Indian arrowhead.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 74

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Beautiful! Nice arrow head too. ;)

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Dig Dug and that is a gorgeous material on that arrowhead!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one pretty point, congrats on the great piece.
Question: What's the plan for displaying the point? Please don't say a box or drawer....:laughing7:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Absolutely beautiful find - Congratulations on BANNER! :notworthy:

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Wildcat! I am so grateful to have found such a beautiful piece and in near perfect shape. I just wish it came with a way to tell its story.

OP
OP
BearCreek

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you pepperj! That is a great question! Right now it is safe in one of my grandfather's wooden Old Spice boxes wrapped in white tissue paper. I think I'm going to put it in its own frame and display it with the gorgeous handmade bow my brother made for me. This is the only "arrowhead" I had ever found until today, but it is by far and I think will probably remain the best one I ever find. Do you have any ideas for displaying it?

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you pepperj! That is a great question! Right now it is safe in one of my grandfather's wooden Old Spice boxes wrapped in white tissue paper. I think I'm going to put it in its own frame and display it with the gorgeous handmade bow my brother made for me. This is the only "arrowhead" I had ever found until today, but it is by far and I think will probably remain the best one I ever find. Do you have any ideas for displaying it?

At least your 1st find was a pretty one mine was very ugly but still was shocked to find out it was a point.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread