David Crocket School Abandonned....Dallas

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Threat: Abandonment 401 N. Carroll Street

Built in 1903 and designed by prominent architects Hubbell and Greene, the Romanesque Revival styled school is made of structural masonry tan colored brick with stone windows and trim. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its continual expansion- it is now three times its original size- while retaining its architectural integrity. The school was almost demolished in the 1980s, but was saved when Preservation Dallas (then Historic Preservation League) funded a study that convinced DISD to abandon their plans to demolish the building. The school finally closed its doors in 1989, making it Dallas’ oldest school in operation. At that time, DISD and the Dallas Parks and Recreation Board made an agreement to convert the school building into a community center. Instead, the building houses administrative offices for DISD. The DISD now plans to vacate the building, and have not planned for its future use. A vacant building with no plans for an occupant will allow the building to further deteriorate.

Attachments

• DAVID-CROCKETT-SCHOOL-Scott.jpg
    DAVID-CROCKETT-SCHOOL-Scott.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 510

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
another pic

Attachments

• davy_crockett.jpg
    davy_crockett.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 479
  • davy_crockett.jpg
    davy_crockett.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 478
  • davy_crockett.jpg
    davy_crockett.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 489
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
So Tin, Were you able to hunt it?. It looks like a great place and I was hoping someone would be able to hunt the site.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I haven't yet. Have been by there a few times. Once it is empty I will hit it unless they fence it off. It dosen't sound like they are going to keep it standing so I will be jumping in there the first chance I get. ;)

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Went by yesterday on my way to work.....cars in parking lot, but should be empty sat. Morning...I am gonn go by and hit it sometime in the a.m. Looks like it will be some great hunting!
Baggins

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Baggins, you may want to wait untill Sunday if you can. I have been by there on a Saturday, not detecting, just scoping it out and there have been people in the building. Good Luck!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Will drive by and give it a look...if there are people there, I always have a spot that was just scraped a day or two ago that had a house from 1921 sitting on it...and there is always that spot in Mckinney I saw on the news the other day....there was a 100 year old grain elevator that just burned and they are going to tear down...

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
just curious ... what part of town this school is in? I lived in Oak Cliff on 9th St. in 1963, across from Adamson High (where I finished) and just down the road from you-know-who. Was wondering how far away from me this David Crocket school is.

Noodle

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks, TN. Nope, cross town from me. Hubby's fully recovered and doing great. Thanks for asking! Don't forget to let us know when you finally hunt this spot. Another ole wonderful building coming down... :(

I once had a bricklayer come in and build a flooring for a woodburning stove. The bricks he used came from an old school that had been torn down. For months, I could smell the "school" smell permeating from those bricks.

Noodle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread