We may get some good done yet from Fox news

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I sent a letter off to TV channel 4 news in Austin to the communitys service deptment about the good we as detectorist do for the parks where our kids play. Following is their response back. If this happens, I may need others around the Austin area to bring their trash and dangerous objects they find in parks. Please let me know if you can help if this happens. I will be contacting the Austin Metal Detecting club about this also. Their response is as follows:

Mr. Sturdivant,

Thank you for your email. I have forwarded your story idea to our News
Dept. Someone from news may be contacting you in the near future.

Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,
Thad Rosenfeld
Community Relations Director

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 10:45 PM
To: Rosenfeld, Thad E
Subject: Suggestion about Community Relations

Sent by david sturdivant at Aug 6, 2007 11.44 pm

Sent from IP: 24.28.10.125, 10.50.6.134
Phone: 512-569-
City: austin
I have a story for your Investigates feature. The city of Austin,
Travis county, and LCRA do not allow metal detectors in their parks.
Williamson county there is no problem with the use of detectors. I would
like to show the people of Travis county and Austin the good we do using
detectors in parks. I would like to show the vast amounts of trash, pull
tabs, sharp aluminium shards, bullets, razor blades, and other dangerous
objects that we find in parks where the kids play. By not allowing
detectors in the parks of Travis county, the kids are in more danger
than most people realize, We clan the parks for pennies an hour,
literally, of the "dangerous" types of trash that no one else cleans up.
I would like to show that we are not the destroyers of parks, we are
actually the people who keep the parks clean and safe for our kids. I
have all the evidence to back this up if needed. Thank you for your
time.
David Sturdivant

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Very cool. I like the initiative. Usually when detecting is not allowed in city parks it is because along the way some misinformed city official had the law passed because someone either snuck it through attached to another law or they just don't understand and let another misguided citizen or group talk them into pushing for it. They probably do not even take the time to think about it and just go along with it and it passes. I can picture it, one board member says I would like to pass this into law and the others say, yeah OK whatever.

Who knows, taking the initiative like you have could reverse it. Worth a try. I want to pass this into law. Our children would be safer if we allowed it. Yeah, OK, whatever.

HH

R

RUDY2003

Way to go piggy!
I'll be watchin this one too. Here in Harris county (Houston) the county parks are off limits but the city parks are open....
Good luck with this...

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Here in Houston there are 4 precincts...1 through 4....Precinct 4 has a policy of NO metal detectors in parks the other 3 precincts have no such restrictions.
Precinct 4 parks have the same Rules and Regulations signs the other precincts have...doen't have anything about detecting...but you have to go on the website and look in the Park Policies.
One detectorist a newbie had went to a park in precinct 4 and read the rules and regulations sign....it didn't say anything about detecting, so he started to detect. A park patrolman and county Constable fined him, took his new equipment and he has contacted legal counsel to try and get his equipment back.

Piggman you are doing a good job. Hopefully you can get the law changed there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread