Day 2: glass flaking practice

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
2 unfinished practice pieces from this morning. I used a copper flaking tool on these. Iā€™m finding it easier to get better flakes, but they still arenā€™t very long. Iā€™m getting more of the curve removed, but still not flat.
Iā€™ve decided to rough-out a lot of practice pieces without finishing them. Iā€™m tired of my work snapping when nearly finished. After I learn more, Iā€™ll finish them.
IMG_2801.jpeg
IMG_2800.jpeg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you lived closer. I could give you some help. Hard to explain stuff over the internet. Youā€™re getting down the zig zag edge with your pressure flaker. To send flakes clear across the face, you need to set up isolated platforms with pressure, then use your antler billet to remove longer flakes. Bevel the edge with pressure, isolate platforms, grind them, then percussion with antler. After you break enough preforms, it finally tends to stop bothering you. You just pick up another and move on just like the Indians did.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wish you lived closer. I could give you some help. Hard to explain stuff over the internet. Youā€™re getting down the zig zag edge with your pressure flaker. To send flakes clear across the face, you need to set up isolated platforms with pressure, then use your antler billet to remove longer flakes. Bevel the edge with pressure, isolate platforms, grind them, then percussion with antler. After you break enough preforms, it finally tends to stop bothering you. You just pick up another and move on just like the Indians did.
Query: From the first attempt to the point of satisfaction how long did it take (or how many tries) to perfect the technique. The photos that you've shared seems like you've got a knack at producing a quality point.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Iā€™m still struggling with platforms. I also have a rough time trying to hold these little pieces for billet strikes.

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
2 unfinished practice pieces from this morning. I used a copper flaking tool on these. Iā€™m finding it easier to get better flakes, but they still arenā€™t very long. Iā€™m getting more of the curve removed, but still not flat.
Iā€™ve decided to rough-out a lot of practice pieces without finishing them. Iā€™m tired of my work snapping when nearly finished. After I learn more, Iā€™ll finish them. View attachment 2139693 View attachment 2139694
Nice work!!!

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work, I tried to teach myself a while back and it definitely takes some skill. I only made 4 or 5 things and more than one ended up with a very similar rocket ship type shape to your brown one there. I had no idea what i was doing so the only advice I can give is to definitely wear glasses!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Query: From the first attempt to the point of satisfaction how long did it take (or how many tries) to perfect the technique. The photos that you've shared seems like you've got a knack at producing a quality point.
I started knapping in the summer of ā€˜85. No books or teachers. No internet. I figured out pressure flaking fairly quickly but percussion was a mystery until I watched an experienced flintknapper working. I slowly gained skills. The hard part was finding flint to knap. Expensive to buy when you know youā€™re going to destroy it. My best learning moment came when I took my wife along to a creek that had quite a bit of Burlington. I sat in a lawn chair next to the creek with a leg pad and big copper billet. My wife brought cobbles one after another and I destroyed them. I started making some good spalls finally and the light bulb suddenly came on. By 1989, 4 yrs after starting, I finally was able to start making points that were decent. With YouTube and a hands on teacher you could learn much quicker than I did.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I started knapping in the summer of ā€˜85. No books or teachers. No internet. I figured out pressure flaking fairly quickly but percussion was a mystery until I watched an experienced flintknapper working. I slowly gained skills. The hard part was finding flint to knap. Expensive to buy when you know youā€™re going to destroy it. My best learning moment came when I took my wife along to a creek that had quite a bit of Burlington. I sat in a lawn chair next to the creek with a leg pad and big copper billet. My wife brought cobbles one after another and I destroyed them. I started making some good spalls finally and the light bulb suddenly came on. By 1989, 4 yrs after starting, I finally was able to start making points that were decent. With YouTube and a hands on teacher you could learn much quicker than I did.
Thanks for the reply.
4 yrs is a good length if time to keep trying.

While detecting in England, I saw alot of flint in some of the fields.
Managed to find a few tools. (Scraper/blades)

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the feeling I can pretty well get any shape I want but I still struggle to get those flakes driven all the way across. I think I rely too heavily on the pressure flaker because Iā€™m scared my big billet will just smash my point in halfā€¦ and it has, but probably a problem with the user not the tool

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread