day 2: more silver coins and a coin silver spoon.

sheep.dog

May 30, 2017
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Day two at my ancestral family home was not quite as spectacular as day 1 in the sheer amount of coins dug, I still came away with 4 more silvers coins- '41 Quarter, 43' war nickel, '24 Merc. and a '60 Rosie.

However, I dug perhaps the coolest find of the whole weekend a coin silver spoon. David Hopkins, over on the ID ME facebook page, helped to attribute the spoon to a local silver smith Sanford Boon who kept shop in town between 1822-44. I'm working with my mother to see if we can match the initials with a relative, if we can figure out exactly what letters those are, but it seems this may be a bit too early to be connected with my family from this area.

I also dug a nice little MW & Co heart lock, a key (not matching), rosette, a 1960's Two Bits Play Coin, more wheaties, and a IHP.

That was one heck of a weekend! In total 34 coins (not counting clad) -12 silvers, 20 wheats, 2 Indians. The Spoon is definitely my favorite, I'll definitely get it cleaned up and may actually see about having it repaired.

XqJ8Izr.jpg

bYKlW6j.jpg

wmhBxRV.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26
That coin silver spoon is amazing. I'm super jealous! The attribution is fantastic, gotta love the Internet for research. Your two day haul is better than most people's year so far! May have to start considering using the B----R word when describing this hunt.

Wow! That’s one heck of a haul of silver. I like the old relic finds too. Congrats

Super day. Congrats

Beautiful spoon and great coins too- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Holy crap. I wish I grew up in a house like that! The house I (for the most part) grew up in was built in the 90s. Nice job!

Holy crap. I wish I grew up in a house like that! The house I (for the most part) grew up in was built in the 90s. Nice job!

I didn't grow up there, it's a home that has been in my family since the turn of thre century but I only visited in the summers.

Love the spoon ! I would put it into daily service !
If you can attribute it to an ancestor , all the better ! Nice coins too .

Fantastic two day total, congratulations! :occasion14:

That's an amazing amount of great finds

Love that spoon! I bet there are parts of some pretty early US silver coins in that spoon. Also, that particular pattern is found on mid 19th century sites, although not normally in silver. I always considered them 1860ish, but considering when this guy was in business, they can be a little earlier.

sweet spoon and other finds great spot i would never leave

I'm with A2coins. There has GOT to be more! FANTASTIC HUNTS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back