What's new

Dayton? ATL?

vibes

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
2,093
Reaction score
54
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Found this sassy iron piece at a seasoned city park.

At first I thought it was some sort of a floor grate, sheet, it could still be that too, I dunno.

I feel confidant someone here has the answer, so thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0222.webp
    DSCF0222.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCF0224.webp
    DSCF0224.webp
    37 KB · Views: 400
ATT ---- -- thats what I see. OR ATL (AMERICAN TRAIN LINE or TRANSIT LINE)
DAYTON , (ohio)?
 
Upvote 0
Well ivan, it looks like ATL, not ATT

Dayton, O was kinda a given. Is/was it a sign of some sort? Advertising, machinery, livery? ha, again, I dunno.
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
ATT ---- -- thats what I see. OR ATL (AMERICAN TRAIN LINE or TRANSIT LINE)
DAYTON , (ohio)?

thanks for the latter addition to your original post...that'll give me sumpin to go on.

Hope all is well your way ivan!
 
Upvote 0
Part of a city park bench?
 
Upvote 0
ATL is a common abreviation for Atlanta. Maybe that helps?
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Im thinking something cast iron like this.

Dayton, Indiana? I think ATL is a modern abbreviation.

It could even be from an old school desk.
 

Attachments

  • park bench.webp
    park bench.webp
    17.5 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0
According to "History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery County, Ohio" found at Google Books; Platt Iron Works was a large and going concern in 1904. I'm looking for more.

Chip V.
 
Upvote 0
Following up on my assumption that your piece is by Platt Iron Works. (We all know what happens when I assume) The works was founded in 1866 by Edwin Stillwell and G. Nelson Bierce. Name "Platt Iron Works" was first used in 1904. It was absorbed by Worthington Pump and Machinery in 1920. They specialized in pumps, compressors, and turbines. Their biggest plant was in North Dayton.

Chip V.
 
Upvote 0
chipveres said:
Following up on my assumption that your piece is by Platt Iron Works. (We all know what happens when I assume) The works was founded in 1866 by Edwin Stillwell and G. Nelson Bierce. Name "Platt Iron Works" was first used in 1904. It was absorbed by Worthington Pump and Machinery in 1920. They specialized in pumps, compressors, and turbines. Their biggest plant was in North Dayton.

Chip V.

Very cool and thank you Chip-- I appreciate the the time and energy you put into this.

The park the piece was found is located in downtown South Bend, IN.
72cheyenne said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Part of a city park bench?

My thoughts too, been looking in that direction. http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/two-cast-iron-white-painted-garden-benches-by-the-0-s-2cqiyaodxi

Dang that's a good one...never crossed my mind!

I'm going to clean it tonight.

Thanks everyone for playing along:)
 
Upvote 0
For some reason this reminds me of the grating that would be found in FRONT of the flames on an old heater or boiler system.

Dayton Corporation has made many types of heaters and boilers for years.

Looking to see if I can find a pic or something.

Grip
 
Upvote 0
chipveres said:
Following up on my assumption that your piece is by Platt Iron Works. (We all know what happens when I assume) The works was founded in 1866 by Edwin Stillwell and G. Nelson Bierce. Name "Platt Iron Works" was first used in 1904. It was absorbed by Worthington Pump and Machinery in 1920. They specialized in pumps, compressors, and turbines. Their biggest plant was in North Dayton.

Chip V.
PLATT IRON WORKS
DAYTON, OHIO
 
Upvote 0
say a "platt" iron works made --- grating type cover on a bit of machinery that allowed air thru to cool it but kept "things" from coming to contact with say -- a spinning turbine shaft.
 
Upvote 0
I think the first line is the company and the second line the city, but the problem is with this PLATT IRON WORKS theory is that it is an L after T. (not two T's)
 
Upvote 0
I think what you see as a L might be ATTI WITH what looks to be a "L" BEING A "T" WITH A " I " NEXT TO IT .=== as in PLATTIRONWORKS
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
I think what you see as a L might be ATTI WITH what looks to be a "L" BEING A "T" WITH A " I " NEXT TO IT .=== as in PLATTIRONWORKS
with out a space between? I dont know she said it was an L. Cleaning it up a bit would help.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
ivan salis said:
I think what you see as a L might be ATTI WITH what looks to be a "L" BEING A "T" WITH A " I " NEXT TO IT .=== as in PLATTIRONWORKS
with out a space between? I dont know she said it was an L. Cleaning it up a bit would help.

Damn you guys are good!!!!!

Thanks mucho, mucho!
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
I think what you see as a L might be ATTI WITH what looks to be a "L" BEING A "T" WITH A " I " NEXT TO IT .=== as in PLATTIRONWORKS

i see it ATT then another letter begins
 
Upvote 0
I was seeing "ATT" also. I really like the PRATT IRON WORKS idea.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom