What's new

Daytona Beach Vacation

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
3,816
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'll be headed out to Daytona Beach for a week beginning on May 30, Memorial Day! The condo we're staying at is at the north end of the boardwalk on Daytona. My questions is this; is there a shop anywhere nearby that I can pick up a sand scoop that will be sturdy enough for a week's worth of digging? I don't really want to pack one in and then pack it back out again if I can help it. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Treasure_Hunter said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
I hope something good happens before ya get here... 3 days with the Dual Field, 1 pull tab and < a buck in change, and some of that was at a foot... :-[

I agree, the beach there is sanded in real bad, I also hunted DB, on Saturday, ended up with .75 cents 4 pull tabs and one junk bracelet, with 3 skulls on it...... :(
Well, even if I'm just digging junk, it'll still be really nice to get to play in some sand. The ground here in NM is packed solid and has very little moisture down till about 18 inches or so. An average hole here can take 5 or 10 minutes to dig. Blah....
 
Patrol said:
The shop is OK Pawn on the corner of Mary Bethune McCleod Blvd. and Ridgewood (US 1) in the middle of Daytona Beach. Wes Wade works there and he is the President of the local metal detecting club (Dig & Find Coinshooters and Historical Club). OK Pawn is a Whites Metal Detectors Dealer and has detectors for rent and sale. He also has accessories such as beach scoops, etc.

You can contact Wes Wade at: digging4nogood@gmail.com
Thanks for the tip, Patrol!
 
I was there Thursday Friday and Saturday at the Hilton. Sanded in but with lots of people. Walked miles and was only hitting zincolns. I had better luck in new Smyrna beach.
 
JimDon said:
I was there Thursday Friday and Saturday at the Hilton. Sanded in but with lots of people. Walked miles and was only hitting zincolns. I had better luck in new Smyrna beach.
I'm hoping that since the Memorial Day weekend will have just finished up when I get into Daytona, there'll be some good stuff just sitting around for me, but who knows?
 
Hey ClonedSIM,

I hunt there quite often. You'll find stuff. Just be prepared to put in some hours. I've been there at night sometimes when there are half a dozen detectorists on the beach. Never see any that are thorough though, they just wander around the beach break mostly. Lots of guys stop and talk, they look at my parallel lines in the sand and say they don't have the patience for that. I think it is more the thinking that the great find is far down the beach, when it really could be one foot in front of you.

Jack
 
JackInFlorida said:
Hey ClonedSIM,

I hunt there quite often. You'll find stuff. Just be prepared to put in some hours. I've been there at night sometimes when there are half a dozen detectorists on the beach. Never see any that are thorough though, they just wander around the beach break mostly. Lots of guys stop and talk, they look at my parallel lines in the sand and say they don't have the patience for that. I think it is more the thinking that the great find is far down the beach, when it really could be one foot in front of you.

Jack
It just takes patience, huh? That, I can handle. I was actually thinking most of my hunting would be near or after dark. I'll have my wife, daughter, mother and niece with me (the hormones will be thick in that condo, I tell ya!) so I imagine I'll have to slip away when I can, except when we're all out on the beach, but that will be the middle of the day and, I'm sure, crowded as all get out.

What time do the schools let out for summer in Florida, do you know?
 
Hi CloneSIM,

The schools will not be out in Flagler County, but they will be out in Volusia, where Daytona Beach is, so . . .

Jack
 
JackInFlorida said:
Hi CloneSIM,

The schools will not be out in Flagler County, but they will be out in Volusia, where Daytona Beach is, so . . .

Jack
Shoot, I was hoping I'd get lucky there. Speaking of Flagler, do you know much about that area, as far as hunting goes? My Dad lived in Flagler Beach for a couple years about 10 years back, really pretty place. I know it's a less-visited beach, mainly due to the lack of parking, but have you ever hunted there?
 
hey fellas...i'll be down there june 7 thru 11th so save me some!!! this will be my first beach trip detecting so i'm really hoping for a good turnout....
 
metalman709 said:
hey fellas...i'll be down there june 7 thru 11th so save me some!!! this will be my first beach trip detecting so i'm really hoping for a good turnout....

I'll be cutting out of town on June 10th, so make sure and turn the lights out when you leave!

Jack
 
JackInFlorida said:
ClonedSIM said:
Speaking of Flagler ... have you ever hunted there?

Hi ClonedSIM,

That's where I live, so yes. I live in the town behind Flagler Beach called Palm Coast.

Jack

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,267812.msg1906618.html#msg1906618
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,176946.msg1290037.html#msg1290037
Very cool! I don't know if my wife will let me drive up the coast just to hunt or not, but those are some excellent finds! I've lived inland wayyy too long......
 
I MD Daytonna Bch about 2 years ago didn't find much. I am going to be i St Augustine, Fl. June 14 & 15 th. Let me know if anyone wants to meet up. asg_sr@yahoo.com


I am also going to Sebastin, Fl on June 16 & 17 let me know if you want to MD then. Thanks Fry
 
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I was out this weekend, 2 pennies around a foot i could barley hear with the DF, and a bottle cap. Not even trash to be found... too much sand... there was at least a foot more with the S winds we had for a while...than 2 weeks ago when we were at the condo. On a plus side there was not a spot to park all the way to the inlet, so there must be something to be founs with all those people... GL...
 
S.S.Tupperware said:
Not to be the bearer of bad news, ...

Went today at main street pier for an hour and a half. Worked the towel line into the water the whole time.

Lot's more targets than usual. Lucky drinking is not allowed on the beach, or there would really be a mess eh?
daytona1.webp

Just costume, but was a neat find anyway.
daytona2.webp
 
JackInFlorida said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
Not to be the bearer of bad news, ...

Went today at main street pier for an hour and a half. Worked the towel line into the water the whole time.

Lot's more targets than usual. Lucky drinking is not allowed on the beach, or there would really be a mess eh?



Just costume, but was a neat find anyway.
Yep, about the same here, unfortunately. A smattering of quarters, random bits of foil and more than a few bottle caps. It's amazing how clean that sand is, really, considering they don't run beach cleaners. I was really impressed.

Jack, by any chance did I run into you in front of the Ocean Walk in the surf on Tuesday?
 
ClonedSIM said:
Jack, by any chance did I run into you in front of the Ocean Walk in the surf on Tuesday?

I was right next to the pier, actually almost in front of the Farris Wheel. I saw a couple with whites detectors. There was an older woman there as well, but all disappeared soon after I got there.

Jack
 
JackInFlorida said:
ClonedSIM said:
Jack, by any chance did I run into you in front of the Ocean Walk in the surf on Tuesday?

I was right next to the pier, actually almost in front of the Farris Wheel. I saw a couple with whites detectors. There was an older woman there as well, but all disappeared soon after I got there.

Jack
Okay, I was curious about that. I bumped into a guy hunting the water's edge with a silver sand scoop and what I think was an older Garrett's, and he wasn't having much luck either. I discovered I couldn't get into the wet sand at all with my White's, but the dry sand was a breeze. I just had to hunt in the early morning, right around sunrise, or after 7 PM or so, otherwise that dry sand just got way too hot underfoot. Still, I'd pick a day at the beach digging over a day fighting blowing sand and rock-hard dirt here in New Mexico any day!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom