What's new

Daytona Beach Vacation

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
3,816
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I'll be headed out to Daytona Beach for a week beginning on May 30, Memorial Day! The condo we're staying at is at the north end of the boardwalk on Daytona. My questions is this; is there a shop anywhere nearby that I can pick up a sand scoop that will be sturdy enough for a week's worth of digging? I don't really want to pack one in and then pack it back out again if I can help it. Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Not that I know of... but I hunt there, and can let ya use my backup... K co is 50 miles or so...
 
S.S.Tupperware said:
Not that I know of... but I hunt there, and can let ya use my backup... K co is 50 miles or so...
I might just take you up on that! My wife is letting me have at least 2 days to play around in the sand and I want to make the most of it. What's the best time to hit the beaches? Do the run beach-cleaners up and down Daytona, do you know?
 
My advise:

Contact JR !!
http://www.metaldetectorwebsite.com/servlet/StoreFront

I bought a metal detector from him in the summer of 2009, when I was on vacation in Florida.
He brought the detector to me at the hotel. Great service. :thumbsup:

He just might be in your area on those days.

:hello:
 
No cleaners... plenty of trash... it has been sanded in bad but this last bit of big surf has helped a lil, but we need more...
 
S.S.Tupperware said:
No cleaners... plenty of trash... it has been sanded in bad but this last bit of big surf has helped a lil, but we need more...
Well, at least I'll have plenty of beeps to chase, right? :wink:

I just got back from a mini-trip down to Lake Travis in Austin, came away with some goodies form the shore; a little gold, decent amount of silver.

What does an average day of hunting consist of in your experience, Tupp?
 
af1733 said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
No cleaners... plenty of trash... it has been sanded in bad but this last bit of big surf has helped a lil, but we need more...
Well, at least I'll have plenty of beeps to chase, right? :wink:

I just got back from a mini-trip down to Lake Travis in Austin, came away with some goodies form the shore; a little gold, decent amount of silver.

What does an average day of hunting consist of in your experience, Tupp?

Lately a lot of sand......By the time you come there is a chance of fresh drops, water will be warmer so you might get lucky...I am taking the day after Memorial Day to hunt.....

If possible try to hunt the out going tide, maybe 2-4 hours before low tide, you will more time to hunt the wet sand, once it is low tide it starts coming in prety fast....
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
af1733 said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
No cleaners... plenty of trash... it has been sanded in bad but this last bit of big surf has helped a lil, but we need more...
Well, at least I'll have plenty of beeps to chase, right? :wink:

I just got back from a mini-trip down to Lake Travis in Austin, came away with some goodies form the shore; a little gold, decent amount of silver.

What does an average day of hunting consist of in your experience, Tupp?

Lately a lot of sand......By the time you come there is a chance of fresh drops, water will be warmer so you might get lucky...I am taking the day after Memorial Day to hunt.....

If possible try to hunt the out going tide, maybe 2-4 hours before low tide, you will more time to hunt the wet sand, once it is low tide it starts coming in prety fast....
This may be a dumb question, coming from a guy that lives in the desert, but when is low tide?
 
af1733 said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
af1733 said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
No cleaners... plenty of trash... it has been sanded in bad but this last bit of big surf has helped a lil, but we need more...
Well, at least I'll have plenty of beeps to chase, right? :wink:

I just got back from a mini-trip down to Lake Travis in Austin, came away with some goodies form the shore; a little gold, decent amount of silver.

What does an average day of hunting consist of in your experience, Tupp?

Lately a lot of sand......By the time you come there is a chance of fresh drops, water will be warmer so you might get lucky...I am taking the day after Memorial Day to hunt.....

If possible try to hunt the out going tide, maybe 2-4 hours before low tide, you will more time to hunt the wet sand, once it is low tide it starts coming in prety fast....
This may be a dumb question, coming from a guy that lives in the desert, but when is low tide?

Tides changed every day as the lunar cycle advances....There are many tide websites below are a couple I use....

The first one you can change the site to any beach in the world you want and can search up to a year in advace if you want to plan vacations hunting.

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Daytona+Beach+(Ocean),+Florida&units=f


This is Magic Seaweed, you can pick any beach location in the world, it also gives the height of the surf which is nice.....

http://magicseaweed.com/Daytona-Beach-Surf-Report/670/
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
af1733 said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
af1733 said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
No cleaners... plenty of trash... it has been sanded in bad but this last bit of big surf has helped a lil, but we need more...
Well, at least I'll have plenty of beeps to chase, right? :wink:

I just got back from a mini-trip down to Lake Travis in Austin, came away with some goodies form the shore; a little gold, decent amount of silver.

What does an average day of hunting consist of in your experience, Tupp?

Lately a lot of sand......By the time you come there is a chance of fresh drops, water will be warmer so you might get lucky...I am taking the day after Memorial Day to hunt.....

If possible try to hunt the out going tide, maybe 2-4 hours before low tide, you will more time to hunt the wet sand, once it is low tide it starts coming in prety fast....
This may be a dumb question, coming from a guy that lives in the desert, but when is low tide?

Tides changed every day as the lunar cycle advances....There are many tide websites below are a couple I use....

The first one you can change the site to any beach in the world you want and can search up to a year in advace if you want to plan vacations hunting.

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Daytona+Beach+(Ocean),+Florida&units=f


This is Magic Seaweed, you can pick any beach location in the world, it also gives the height of the surf which is nice.....

http://magicseaweed.com/Daytona-Beach-Surf-Report/670/
Sweet, thanks for the info! This will come in handy.
 
Let me know when ya come down...
 
I FORGET THE NAME OF THE PAWN SHOP/METAL DETECTOR SALES/RENTAL SHOP, BUT THE ADDRESS IS 305 DR. MARY MCLEOD BETHUNE BLVD DAYTONA BEACH PSN: 386-252-2372
 
wvprivateer said:
I FORGET THE NAME OF THE PAWN SHOP/METAL DETECTOR SALES/RENTAL SHOP, BUT THE ADDRESS IS 305 DR. MARY MCLEOD BETHUNE BLVD DAYTONA BEACH PSN: 386-252-2372

Your talking about OK Pawn, Wes who works there is a hunter also.....They always have metal detecting equipment on hand that has been pawned, but are not a dealer perse......Wes is a great guy........ :icon_thumright:
 
Treasure_Hunter said:
wvprivateer said:
I FORGET THE NAME OF THE PAWN SHOP/METAL DETECTOR SALES/RENTAL SHOP, BUT THE ADDRESS IS 305 DR. MARY MCLEOD BETHUNE BLVD DAYTONA BEACH PSN: 386-252-2372

Your talking about OK Pawn, Wes who works there is a hunter also.....They always have metal detecting equipment on hand that has been pawned, but are not a dealer perse......Wes is a great guy........ :icon_thumright:
Great, I'll check that out! I just need a cheapie scoop that will work for 3 or 4 hunts, something I don't have to pack back to New Mexico in my luggage. I hope to need the room in the luggage for all my new loot! :D
 
The shop is OK Pawn on the corner of Mary Bethune McCleod Blvd. and Ridgewood (US 1) in the middle of Daytona Beach. Wes Wade works there and he is the President of the local metal detecting club (Dig & Find Coinshooters and Historical Club). OK Pawn is a Whites Metal Detectors Dealer and has detectors for rent and sale. He also has accessories such as beach scoops, etc.

You can contact Wes Wade at: digging4nogood@gmail.com
 
Just a thought. What about those sand flea scoopers you see the fisherman digging for the sand fleas with? If no scoops are around, perhaps bait and tackle store would have sand flea scoops.

I've personally never had to scoop sand fleas myself, so I don't really have any experience in that area, that's why it was just a thgought. Good luck hunting amd enjoy!
 
Patrol said:
The shop is OK Pawn on the corner of Mary Bethune Cookman Blvd. and Ridgewood (US 1) in the middle of Daytona Beach. Wes Wade works there and he is the President of the local metal detecting club (Dig & Find Coinshooters and Historical Club). OK Pawn is a Whites Metectors Dealer and has detectors for rent and sale. He also has accessories such as beach scoops, etc.

You can contact Wes Wade at: digging4nogood@gmail.com

I stand corrected, did not know they were a Whites dealer.....
 
I hope something good happens before ya get here... 3 days with the Dual Field, 1 pull tab and < a buck in change, and some of that was at a foot... :-[
 
S.S.Tupperware said:
I hope something good happens before ya get here... 3 days with the Dual Field, 1 pull tab and < a buck in change, and some of that was at a foot... :-[

I agree, the beach there is sanded in real bad, I also hunted DB, on Saturday, ended up with .75 cents 4 pull tabs and one junk bracelet, with 3 skulls on it...... :(
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom