What's new

Dealing with rattlesnakes

cammobunker said:
1 Go buy a boom box with BIG speakers.
2 Set it out in snake area
3 play loud rap music-anything with lots of bass
4 watch snakes flee area in minutes.
Snakes really hate anything that makes a lot of vibration. Really messes with them.

I've shot at my share of snakes, too. Course, I used a 16 gauge with an 18" barrel and BB shot.

You mean #8 shot.................?
 
Bum Luck said:
cammobunker said:
1 Go buy a boom box with BIG speakers.
2 Set it out in snake area
3 play loud rap music-anything with lots of bass
4 watch snakes flee area in minutes.
Snakes really hate anything that makes a lot of vibration. Really messes with them.

I've shot at my share of snakes, too. Course, I used a 16 gauge with an 18" barrel and BB shot.

You mean #8 shot.................?

BB sized shot is shown on a chart here and is the size of a BB, much larger than bird shot #8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell#Shot_sizes
It is larger than #1 shot but smaller than buck.
 
theres some pellets that are sold at walmart for snakes also you can use a piece of PVC 1/4 inch about 6 foot long a three foot string and a emty milk jug with "some" water or rocks wind will make the jug bang up against the pvc ......well this works for moles so idk ! ! ! !
 
Pleased to say that spot where cache was once hidden was located, and no snakes had to be destroyed. In fact, only one snake seen: a garter snake probably.

It probably helped that the area was so wet and soggy no self-respecting rattlesnake would have been caught (dead or alive) anywhere near the muddy 30% rocky slopes we were walking on. Most dangerous part of the entire trip was stepping on a rock only to have it roll out from under your foot. Got some blisters to prove it.

Thanks for the help everyone!
 
Tuberale what you need is a couple of mean ass wolverine to handle them there snakes... Global warming has affected alot of thing especiallt the divorce rates ROFLMAO I know that for a fact an she even said I detect to much maybe I should have just hung out at the bars and shot pool with the pretty ladies lol good luck on your cache and HH
 
Uh, we have wolverines. Not many, but some. Mostly in the extreme high country here, over 6,000 feet elevation for the most part.

Wolverines don't seem to bother rattlesnakes much: wrong elevation.

Yeah, I understand global warming better than most. This year, for example, we have been drenched at a time we normally are bone dry. Just like Janet Lubchenko predicted in 1998. Usually by the end of May morels are done. But Eastern Oregon still producing strong quantities of morels. And this year they may continue to fruit above 5,000 feet elevation through July or later.

For the last 2-3 weeks, the Columbia River has been at flood stage. Only today did the news note a slight lessening in the Columbia's near flood stage. Of course, the rain has also been melting a lot of our snow pack too, so could be a pretty bad fire season this year. Just read that worldwide, temperatures since 1995 have been decidedly warmer. Ten of 13 of the warmest years currently recorded worldwide have happened since 1990. It gets worse if you include the hottest 25 years on record.
 
Tuberale said:
Uh, we have wolverines. Not many, but some. Mostly in the extreme high country here, over 6,000 feet elevation for the most part.

Wolverines don't seem to bother rattlesnakes much: wrong elevation.

Yeah, I understand global warming better than most. This year, for example, we have been drenched at a time we normally are bone dry. Just like Janet Lubchenko predicted in 1998. Usually by the end of May morels are done. But Eastern Oregon still producing strong quantities of morels. And this year they may continue to fruit above 5,000 feet elevation through July or later.

For the last 2-3 weeks, the Columbia River has been at flood stage. Only today did the news note a slight lessening in the Columbia's near flood stage. Of course, the rain has also been melting a lot of our snow pack too, so could be a pretty bad fire season this year. Just read that worldwide, temperatures since 1995 have been decidedly warmer. Ten of 13 of the warmest years currently recorded worldwide have happened since 1990. It gets worse if you include the hottest 25 years on record.

The Columbia river has been rising because of massive runoff from excessive melted snow. I have scientific data from proven unbiased sources that contradict your contention about the 10 of 13 since 1990. May I ask where you obtained your information? Not from the UN climate control commission or any of about 3000 proved junk science universities. (Cambridge, East Anglica, Princeton, and Harvard to name a few.) I hope.
 
21stTNCav said:
Bum Luck said:
cammobunker said:
1 Go buy a boom box with BIG speakers.
2 Set it out in snake area
3 play loud rap music-anything with lots of bass
4 watch snakes flee area in minutes.
Snakes really hate anything that makes a lot of vibration. Really messes with them.

I've shot at my share of snakes, too. Course, I used a 16 gauge with an 18" barrel and BB shot.

You mean #8 shot.................?

BB sized shot is shown on a chart here and is the size of a BB, much larger than bird shot #8. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell#Shot_sizes
It is larger than #1 shot but smaller than buck.

I know what BB shot is; I've loaded lots of it back in the day I thought that size would be better for geese. It's not. It's way too big for snakes too; BB doesn't nearly have the shot density that #8 shot does. One #8 shot in the head will kill a snake just as dead as a BB, but there are 10 times as many #8 shot to do the job, 50 BB per ounce vs 497 per ounce for #8.

With an 18" 16 guage barrel (I've owned one of them when trapping), there are just too many holes in the pattern with BB.
 
21stTNCav said:
The Columbia river has been rising because of massive runoff from excessive melted snow. I have scientific data from proven unbiased sources that contradict your contention about the 10 of 13 since 1990. May I ask where you obtained your information? Not from the UN climate control commission or any of about 3000 proved junk science universities. (Cambridge, East Anglica, Princeton, and Harvard to name a few.) I hope.
The Columbia has been rising from massive runoff from excessive melted snow. Caused by warm rain and lots of it. May was the third largest rainfall ever recorded for the state. April was very high rainfall. June has been more wet than normal as well.

Sources? Janet Lubchenko and Oregon State University climitological modelling. So far Janet has been the most accurate forecaster of changing weather patterns for this area. As a world-renown oceanographer, she has more expertise in using ocean temperatures to predict current and on-going temperature changes than most.

In science data from 3000 studies is called "preponderance of evidence." This defines the current acceptance of global warming among the world's scientists both here and abroad.
 
my guess is you didn't find the goods
 
tarus64 said:
my guess is you didn't find the goods
You're right. Looks like someone beat us to it about 3-5 years ago. At least.

We did find all the metal markers and clues to the cache, though.

Not every lead works out. We found the container it was kept it, but someone beat us to it.
 
I had heard that rattlesnakes are good tasting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom