What's new

Decorated square ring type object - Swivel Fob!

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
2,966
Reaction score
4,024
Golden Thread
0
Location
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I found this under some tree roots in the front yard of a property that I think goes back to early 19th century.

Maybe brass? Not magnetic and registers in the dime/quarter range. The inside ring part has two threads on one side but not on the other.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

531q80.jpg


iwn5sh.jpg


wqn8h.jpg
 
Re: Decorated square ring type object

Definitely looks like there was once something inside that circular hole. Probably not a stone of any kind, but maybe? Odd though, it doesn't look like there's any way to attach it to something, otherwise I would've guessed a brooch or pendant of some kind. I've never seen anything like it before.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorated square ring type object

I don't know what it is, but it's a nice thing :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorated square ring type object

Reminds me of a ladies watch/photo frame.
Is it heavy?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorated square ring type object

You all inspired me to clean it better and take a close look for any attachment areas and I did find two shallow holes opposite each other that had been filled with soil. I cleaned them out with a needle :icon_thumleft:

So I think you are on the right track...

awxszq.jpg


It weighs about 1/2 oz.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorated square ring type object

I posted it with some other things in Todays Finds as well. The idea from there is that it is a mini cameo frame.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Decorated square ring type object

IronSpike said:
Maybe a swivel fob?

Just seeing this! Thank you!! I think you nailed it :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Bramblefind said:
IronSpike said:
Maybe a swivel fob?

Just seeing this! Thank you!! I think you nailed it :icon_thumleft:

Sorry, added the link/pic after initial reply (best pic I could find) :wink: Cleaning the piece and posting new pic with additional clues solved it. Good team solving by all :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

It's a very cool find :icon_sunny: Wonder what was mounted in the piece :)
 
Upvote 0
Nice! Never seen one of those myself. Too bad the "centerpiece" isn't there...personally, I'd go back and check the hole with a sifter! ;D
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • watch fob bracelet.webp
    watch fob bracelet.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 306
  • watch fob swivel.webp
    watch fob swivel.webp
    5.9 KB · Views: 316
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom