Decorative Iron Bell - After Apple Cider Treatment

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Decorative Iron Bell - After Apple Cider Vinegar Treatment

Here are a couple of photos of some recent finds on an old farm site dating to the mid 1700's here in the Shenandoah Valley. Also, after the WBTS, a Confederate Veteran lived on the property. Pulled out a toe-tap, part of a lice comb (I think), and what I believe is a very toasted large cent. I found the old broken bell to be the most interesting piece - very ornate design on it. Before and after pics of a good soaking in apple cider vinegar and wire brushing of the bell. I really can't find any way to date it or learn anything about its possible origin. Any ideas would be appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• iron_bell_misc.JPG
    iron_bell_misc.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 117
  • iron_bill_pre_acv.JPG
    iron_bill_pre_acv.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 129
  • iron_bill_after_acv.JPG
    iron_bill_after_acv.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Upvote 3

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bell is very cool. How long did it need to soak in cider? I'll have to try that method.
Thanks,
Doug

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've poured Apple Cider Vinegar on some of my finds, and not a one turned into a Decorative Iron Bell.

Nice find.

HH

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bell cleaned up real nice! Maybe that's what the wizards were missing when trying to turn other metals to gold, apple sider vinegar! Now if only we can get it to work on all the pull tabs!

The Boots

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never tried vinegar on my finds how long do you soak it? The bell looks good. Congrats. I hope you will be able to date it.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That bell is very cool. How long did it need to soak in cider? I'll have to try that method.
Thanks,
Doug

Thanks Doug. Because of the detailed design, it took much longer than usual - about 2 weeks, with wire brushing every few days.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never tried vinegar on my finds how long do you soak it? The bell looks good. Congrats. I hope you will be able to date it.

Thanks. Typically 7 to 10 days. Some pieces take longer. It depends on the extent of the rust. Also, if the original surface is flat/smooth, the rust comes off much quicker.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That IS a very ornate old bell Richard that I'm sure cost a pretty penny when bought back then. Treatment came out great. HH, Q.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AC is a good method, and far better than electrolysis. if your not in a hurry. It can take a month or more for really heavily pitted / corroded stuff, but no electricity etc. I was quite surprised for such a weak acid at what it can do.

Very interesting bell, bells are some of my favorite finds.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That IS a very ornate old bell Richard that I'm sure cost a pretty penny when bought back then. Treatment came out great. HH, Q.

Thanks Q! I'll try to remember to get that picture to you this evening.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AC is a good method, and far better than electrolysis. if your not in a hurry. It can take a month or more for really heavily pitted / corroded stuff, but no electricity etc. I was quite surprised for such a weak acid at what it can do.

Very interesting bell, bells are some of my favorite finds.

Thanks Rick. I've used both and prefer ACV. Electrolysis would still be the way to go with very large items, but the ACV works just as well, if not better, on most of the stuff I find.

NVNutcase

Sep 9, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The soak can get very nasty, make sure you wear some rubber gloves when handling the items.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The soak can get very nasty, make sure you wear some rubber gloves when handling the items.

Absolutely. Also advisable: Warn the wife or keep it in your man cave. :laughing7:

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The comb is not a lice comb. The gaps in between the teeth are to big.

Maybe for a horse mane if not for a person.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The comb is not a lice comb. The gaps in between the teeth are to big.

Maybe for a horse mane if not for a person.

Thanks Cactus.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
citric acid would probably be easier/cheaper...try a brewers supply...oxalic acid too....

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
citric acid would probably be easier/cheaper...try a brewers supply...oxalic acid too....

Thanks for the suggestion. How does it differ from lemon juice - stronger?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bell turned out quite well there Stonewall, I have a large tub of ACV and when I find iron goodies I just toss them in, check on them every now and then, maybe brush them and knock off the chunks of rust and it wont hurt the metal, no matter how long you leave it in there. Also leaves any chrome finish intact.
Do you think that your bell would have been a cow bell or animal bell?
ZDD

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bell turned out quite well there Stonewall, I have a large tub of ACV and when I find iron goodies I just toss them in, check on them every now and then, maybe brush them and knock off the chunks of rust and it wont hurt the metal, no matter how long you leave it in there. Also leaves any chrome finish intact.
Do you think that your bell would have been a cow bell or animal bell?
ZDD

The large tub is a good idea. No, I think it's too heavy for a cow bell and too decorative as well. I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it. More like something you might see at an entrance door to ring. No maker's mark anywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread