Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I've got about 70 hours on my equinox 600, just received my 800 but still in the box . I've seen the videos and what not but I have not dug any coins deeper then like 6 inches.
So far I have dug two sivers,two Indian heads,about 20 wheat and maybe 5 bucks in clad but nothing over about 6 inches..
Yes I ground balance first . So far I really like the machine. Went back to my etrac for one hunt and it seemed to weigh a ton after the nox.

Just wondering what depth people are getting with their nox.

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already dug dimes at 10" with my 600. Even bigger coins and tokens deeper.

May have a lot to do with your soil conditions. Ours, where I'm hunting, is pretty benign.

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8-10" dimes are common here in my ground and the Nox bangs on 'em. If you are finding Indians at 6" at your spots, then there might not be any coins deeper than that to be found. I wish I had shallower old coins here. I hate digging 10", but most yards have been filled in my area.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have many hours on my 800 at first it was thinking like you, but the more I used it watch videos and got tips from everyone out there I’ve differently seen a difference. I’ve pulled 5 v nickels out of on area I’ve hunted because the equinox hits more solid then my other detectors. I use a coil shooting program I got off YouTube and it really made a difference. The other day I hit a solid 12 at 9” and it was a early 1900’s, I was told between 1900-1913 gold ring with 3 rubys I couldn’t believe it. Got my first seated dime at 10” and I hunt a 1850’s hunted out silver park of hard Louisiana clay soil. By far the 800 is the best detector I’ve ever owned. I swing a lot almost everyday, it actually raining all week and my body is thankful. Just like Echoplex mentioned I wish I had shallower old coins left, because the only bad thing with deeper singles is having to DIG deeper....but wouldn’t change a thing. Love this machine.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 2 silver dimes over the weekend and both were at 9 inches. Take into account of 1" above the ground with the coil put a them at 10 inches. They were bouncy in the VDI readings, 26-30 but the tone was loud and clear. The second one I actually called out loud Silver Dime. And sure enough a 1919 merc. They're out there.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dug a wheatie at 12" and a quarter and dime at 12".. It surprised me because I don't like digging deep but will on a good signal.. I have also hot several cans at 12"+

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever photographed these 10 and 12 inch coins in the hole? The Garrett carrot is what 9 inches? Put it in the hole with the coin, still in the dirt, and take a picture... this is a civil war bullet at 9.5 to 10 inches. Kinda like my bass weighed 10 pounds, on a scale though, it is only 8 20180411_161036.jpeg

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know people exaggerate depths and some are conservative but I always use the carrot to determine and get pretty close. My deepest dime so far was a 44 wheat at carrot depth, 9". I know it will hit coins much deeper but I tend to run my 800 at recovery 7 and iron bias 1 90% of the time. The deeper coins just give a whisper but they're undeniable when you get over one.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone ever photographed these 10 and 12 inch coins in the hole? The Garrett carrot is what 9 inches? Put it in the hole with the coin, still in the dirt, and take a picture... this is a civil war bullet at 9.5 to 10 inches. Kinda like my bass weighed 10 pounds, on a scale though, it is only 8 View attachment 1593024

Very Small Mother Mary 9” IMG_1203.JPG

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know people exaggerate depths and some are conservative but I always use the carrot to determine and get pretty close. My deepest dime so far was a 44 wheat at carrot depth, 9". I know it will hit coins much deeper but I tend to run my 800 at recovery 7 and iron bias 1 90% of the time. The deeper coins just give a whisper but they're undeniable when you get over one.

I’m glad you brought up iron bias HighVDI I haven’t thought about messing with it. I’m looking up now how to do it.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9 inches is doable for most detectors, 10 inches on a coin is the max I have ever dug. Several different top end detectors were used, and lots of swing time and custom programs...CTX 3030 Whites V3i, Xp Deus and Equinox and a Tesoro...maybe 5 or less coins ever found around 10 inches or more....so I believe almost all of these tales of 10 and 12 inch deep dimes are a very big exaggeration

OP
OP
birdman

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, great information . :occasion14:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m glad you brought up iron bias HighVDI I haven’t thought about messing with it. I’m looking up now how to do it.

Just out of curiosity, Truth....where do you run your IB at?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just out of curiosity, Truth....where do you run your IB at?

Tell you the truth whatever the factory setting has it at. I learn as I go, I can’t read a read a manual to save my sole. I just read how to do it and I’m still not 100%.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the iron bias is zero it lets all iron audio through, if you raise the iron bias the amount of audio response from iron is reduced. I raised mine to 2 or 3 to eliminate nails from sounding off as good targets.
Tell you the truth whatever the factory setting has it at. I learn as I go, I can’t read a read a manual to save my sole. I just read how to do it and I’m still not 100%.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of dimes 8-12 here. Maybe they just aren't there. There was no doubt when they hit, so I don't think your missing them. Just a thought.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got any pictures in the wild of a 12 inch dime, I for one would like to see it. What are you using to measure with?
Lots of dimes 8-12 here. Maybe they just aren't there. There was no doubt when they hit, so I don't think your missing them. Just a thought.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Got any pictures in the wild of a 12 inch dime, I for one would like to see it. What are you using to measure with?

My lesche. I dig a plug the depth of the blade. Then another couple inches at a time so I can see how deep it is. A picture of a hole doesn't tell me to much, so I take a little time to see just exactly how deep it is. The ground where I have found most of them is fill which is black dirt mixed with sand. Have no idea if that's why I'm getting them deep, but it fit's with the research I've done on the area, and talking to locals on what they've seen done to the park. Sorry no picks. Guess you'll just have to trust me.:icon_thumright:

Also wanted to add, I think the EQ would pick up a silver even a little deeper, because the target at 12" is a pretty solid hit.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread