verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've decided to challenge myself with my LRP and Time Ranger detectors, by using an awesome set of stereo headphones I got at a pawn shop for 10$, to find and dig really faint and very deep targets. I had a 2 hour hunt last night and dug horseshoe nails that were deeper than 8", and a very small caliber round ball at about 9". The round ball actually gave me a louder sound and a Target ID. I can't wait to go over my yard using this technique. I would swing the detector and get a very faint noise, and then pin point and the display would read 8, 9, 10". It was a lot of digging, but it was also a lot of fun.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the deepest you found?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've decided to challenge myself with my LRP and Time Ranger detectors, by using an awesome set of stereo headphones I got at a pawn shop for 10$, to find and dig really faint and very deep targets. I had a 2 hour hunt last night and dug horseshoe nails that were deeper than 8", and a very small caliber round ball at about 9". The round ball actually gave me a louder sound and a Target ID. I can't wait to go over my yard using this technique. I would swing the detector and get a very faint noise, and then pin point and the display would read 8, 9, 10". It was a lot of digging, but it was also a lot of fun.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

A good way to utilize the LRPs great AM mode. Some people like the threshold tone while seeking a slight change in tone (after awhile that constant tone drives me nuts). I much more prefer the "no tone" and hear it become present on deep metals with a soft entry.

You are really pulling the strings on the LRPs finer features, verbious.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go by what the detector says on depth as that's not usually the real depth. HH

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't go by what the detector says on depth as that's not usually the real depth. HH

Man, you got that right. The depth is based on coin sized objects, and I like the bars rather than the numbers to give me a "quick thought" on how deep. My LRP has five bars, and at a quick glance I can tell if it's a surface, one Lesche scoop or a "possible" deeper object. I even like my Quick Draw Pro with 3 arrows better for that same reason. And if it's something other than a coin, forget the depth scale. Even rings will fool the depth scale a few inches either way depending on size and thickness.

It's the one reason Tesoro's are so successful. After awhile, you can close your eyes and "hear" how deep and how big something non ferrous is. I still think the LRP in all metal mode is a lot like using a Tesoro.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I like hearing those really faint whisper signals on my MXT, I dig all those regardless of the VDI reading because if the detector is barely able to pick up the signal the VDI is not usually spot on like it would be if it was 9" or less. Those whisper signals are usually the real old good targets at 10"+ deep. HH
Man, you got that right. The depth is based on coin sized objects, and I like the bars rather than the numbers to give me a "quick thought" on how deep. My LRP has five bars, and at a quick glance I can tell if it's a surface, one Lesche scoop or a "possible" deeper object. I even like my Quick Draw Pro with 3 arrows better for that same reason. And if it's something other than a coin, forget the depth scale. Even rings will fool the depth scale a few inches either way depending on size and thickness.

It's the one reason Tesoro's are so successful. After awhile, you can close your eyes and "hear" how deep and how big something non ferrous is. I still think the LRP in all metal mode is a lot like using a Tesoro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread