Deep South Bolen Bevel

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SE Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
2 1/4 by 3/4 Bolen Bevel; Henry County Alabama field rescue and a usual it has a scratch on the tip.
20210325_013723.jpg
20210325_013732.jpg
20210325_013807.jpg
20210325_013759.jpg
20210325_013827.jpg
20210325_013816.jpg

Upvote 0
Wow, nice. That looks like it was made to penetrate deep. I forget the bevel on points is made because of resharpening?

A great example, I’ll bet that one really twirled around in the air :laughing7:...they don’t come any better, I’m still trying to see the scratch.

Very nice relic. Strong beveling on that.

Interestingly enough, virtually all beveling in my area is a left hand bevel, although right hand beveling are occasionally found. I think over the years I have only found a few right hand beveled relics.

What is the material?

Very nice relic. Strong beveling on that.

Interestingly enough, virtually all beveling in my area is a left hand bevel, although right hand beveling are occasionally found. I think over the years I have only found a few right hand beveled relics.

What is the material?

Thinking costal plains chert.

A great example, I’ll bet that one really twirled around in the air :laughing7:...they don’t come any better, I’m still trying to see the scratch.

Funny how you mentioned twirling in the air, I used to think the small ones did that when shot from a bow, that was before I gained the knowledge that they were used as knives.

I asked about beveling then did some research and saw one post about beveling was for aerodynamic. That theory was shot down very quickly. The beveling was done for skinning (thanks for the answer).
I was under the impression that the base, notches and the ears (what most would call arrowheads) that set up is for hafting? If that is the case then the makers of these points used these points on shafts to skin hides or get meat off bones etc....?
Is what I'm asking understandable?
I figured they used hand scrappers for those chores.
So if im understanding this they used the point in this post to skin with a shaft?

Beveling, when all is said and done, is the most efficient way to re-sharpen a (stone) tool while removing the least material in the process.

More re-sharpenings = longer tool life before replacement is necessary.

Beveling, when all is said and done, is the most efficient way to re-sharpen a (stone) tool while removing the least material in the process.

More re-sharpenings = longer tool life before replacement is necessary.

Yes... ^^^ This! ^^^

...Interestingly enough, virtually all beveling in my area is a left hand bevel, although right hand beveling are occasionally found. I think over the years I have only found a few right hand beveled relics...

Ironic that what we call left hand bevels were resharpened by right handed individuals.

And Mike, I know I'm aggravating, but I'd probably type it as a Big Sandy with those squared off auricles. Nice point, regardless!

Ironic that what we call left hand bevels were resharpened by right handed individuals.

And Mike, I know I'm aggravating, but I'd probably type it as a Big Sandy with those squared off auricles. Nice point, regardless!

That's probably what it is, so used to Bolens down here :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back