Deja vu all over again?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Sorry to steal that quote from Yogi Berra. What I am seeing in the media and online seems reminiscent of what happened to silver this past spring. The financial cable channels are talking about gold quite a bit, the internet news sites have big headlines showing gold is up, etc. The same thing was happening to silver as it climbed up to near $50.

There appear to be different reasons for gold's current rapid rise compared to that of silver from earlier in the year. The gold buying seems to be happening world wide and is not just from the US and is based on fear and uncertainty as opposed to simply speculators jumping in for a quick buck or two (although there certainly must be some of them getting into it by now due to all the attention). In fact, gold's value is hitting records in virtually every currency these days, not just the dollar. Many in Europe are buying because of the fear over there with the banks, etc. Here in the US the predominant gold activity is still selling by the general public, as the "gold for cash" stores are thriving. I am hearing from my coin dealer friends that selling gold is more prevalent than buying gold by the "average joes" who are bringing in their jewelry, etc. From what I have read online, in many European countries many "average joes" there are buying gold bullion hand over fist. Over in many of these countries a person can buy gold bullion from their bank which I find interesting.

When I see so much acclaim for gold in all forms of the media though something tells me the rug is going to be pulled out soon (at least for the very short term). Just like many were singing the praises of silver right as it was at its breaking point, the same could happen to gold. However, if there is a sell-off I would bet gold will not fall that much, maybe to the $1400-$1500 range at most simply because the world problems causing its rise have not gone away. If there is such a sell off I believe silver will fall in tandem and might bring us to the low 30s or if we're lucky even less. That in my opinion will be the time to load up. There may only be a short window of opportunity if any corrections are short-lived. It may not be easy finding physical locally if a sudden drop happens, but maybe as it drops there will be lots of press saying "the bubble has finally burst", etc., which could keep some from wanting to buy. I remember having no problem finding silver locally when it went from 50 to 33 almost overnight, although the premiums were a bit high for a short time as the coin dealers did not have time to bring in new inventory at the new lower prices to replace what they were selling.

What is different so far now from 2008 is that while stocks are dropping, PMs are not. In 2008 PMs got clobbered as the stock market tanked. So maybe any comparisons to 2008 are moot this time, or maybe stocks will need to fall more and create more of a general sense of "blood in the streets" for all investments before PMs decline? I feel that if stocks fall further, there will be a time that mutual funds and other such institutional investors will have to decide if PMs are going to keep going up or perhaps peaking. If they decide on the peaking theory, they will need to take profits (sell) in PMs to offset the losses in their stocks. They have to be concerned with their funds' annual percentage gains/losses and if their profitable assets (PMs) are not rising fast enough to out pace or at least off-set their stock losses, they will need to unload PMs to stop the bleeding in their funds' performance. Perhaps this could cause the PM correction (like it did in 2008) if any of this were to take place?

Another point is that so far the margin rates have only been raised one time in this latest gold rise. They will probably raise them again, but I wonder why they have waited this long in light of the rapid gains?

I am going to sit on the sidelines and wait for now. I still think silver is going to be the buy of a lifetime if/when it drops one last time before the "big takeoff" to crazy high levels. I will hopefully have a nice stash of "dry powder" available if/when that happens. But as always, there is a good chance everything I just wrote turns out to be wrong and PMs don't correct until gold is $3000 or more and silver is $100 or more.

What do you all think about any of this stuff happening?

Jim

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Jim, seems that you're quite informative about the P Ms situation.....Thanks for your thoughts. In the silver situation, the margins were raised what......6 times in the last year? J P Morgan is now being investigated concerning its 'controling' the silver market. Yrs ago, I noticed that silver went up in steps.....then down, up in steps.....then down, etc. I then figured that silver was being controlled. I talked to the local coin dealer about this (known him for 35+yrs) and he said he noticed this also, but didn't know who was controling it. I guessing that sooner or later (1 yr-?) silver will find its own level on its own and increase dramatically. Meanwhile, I'm still buying silver.....at melt or below. Yesterday I purchased (8) Can. P L (Proof Like) SILVER sets for 11% below melt. Each set is 1.1oz.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:

Jim

Jim,

There are lots of "IF's" in the future about rises and falls of PM's dollar value. But, it seems that everybody has forgotten about the one real problem that is coming: "Official Sales of all PM's must have a 1099 issued", so there's an added income tax to be paid on whatever is sold....and the added income may also push you into a higher tax bracket

Like Platinum collectors, where most refiners only pay 80% of market value, and scrap jewelry it means you take a 20% hit right off. Gold and Silver will face a 28% income tax for most of us that will consider selling to a "HONEST" refiner for what we find while metal detecting or at garage sales....

That would mean for Silver, based on $50 t.oz., it would have to sell for $64 to make the same profit you would make before Jan. 1. 2012.

What does this perspective do to change your plans for the next few months?

Bill

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
billjustbill said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Jim,

There are lots of "IF's" in the future about rises and falls of PM's dollar value. But, it seems that everybody has forgotten about the one real problem that is coming: "Official Sales of all PM's must have a 1099 issued", so there's an added income tax to be paid on whatever is sold....and the added income may also push you into a higher tax bracket

Like Platinum collectors, where most refiners only pay 80% of market value, and scrap jewelry it means you take a 20% hit right off. Gold and Silver will face a 28% income tax for most of us that will consider selling to a "HONEST" refiner for what we find while metal detecting or at garage sales....

That would mean for Silver, based on $50 t.oz., it would have to sell for $64 to make the same profit you would make before Jan. 1. 2012.

What does this perspective do to change your plans for the next few months?

Bill

Bill,

The few times I have sold PMs I did claim the profits on my schedule D because I fear the IRS and was happy I had a profit instead of a loss. If I ever got audited I would have a hard time explaining the extra $$$$ in my account from the sales. Also, the coin dealers require personal ID info when you sell here in case the goods turn out stolen. They would tell a customer that they don't report that info to the gov unless the sale reaches a certain threshold ($1000 face of 90%, 1000 ounces of Ag, 25 ounces of certain types of Au, etc), but how do you really know what they report to the gov for smaller transactions?

But to answer your question, the 1099 reporting requirement bill was repealed in April 2011 so it does not apply anymore to the best of my knowledge. Here is one article I found quickly doing a Google search.

http://wa.coinandbullionassociation.org/1099_repealed.html

PS I don't get the whole refiner issue. I only buy PMs in bullion form and coins, so anytime I would sell I would take it to a coin dealer in my area and get a pretty fair price based on what I have seen nationwide. I cannot see only getting 80% on any of my PM holdings. I don't buy or own scrap metals so maybe that is what you are talking about. :icon_scratch:

PSS Anyone wanting to sell now would definitely not be $tupid for doing so. There is a saying that nobody ever went broke taking a profit. My view is if a person needs the money to survive then they should sell. If they don't need the money they could make more later because in my humble opinion PMs are gonna be higher in 2 years than they are today, but that is just my guess and I could be wrong.

Jim

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
billjustbill said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

PS I don't get the whole refiner issue. I only buy PMs in bullion form and coins, so anytime I would sell I would take it to a coin dealer in my area and get a pretty fair price based on what I have seen nationwide. I cannot see only getting 80% on any of my PM holdings. I don't buy or own scrap metals so maybe that is what you are talking about. :icon_scratch:

PSS Anyone wanting to sell now would definitely not be $tupid for doing so. There is a saying that nobody ever went broke taking a profit. My view is if a person needs the money to survive then they should sell. If they don't need the money they could make more later because in my humble opinion PMs are gonna be higher in 2 years than they are today, but that is just my guess and I could be wrong.

Jim

.......PS I don't get the whole refiner issue. I only buy PMs in bullion form and coins, so anytime I would sell I would take it to a coin dealer in my area and get a pretty fair price based on what I have seen nationwide. I cannot see only getting 80% on any of my PM holdings. I don't buy or own scrap metals so maybe that is what you are talking about. :icon_scratch:

Jim
[/quote]

Thanks for the update on the repealed 1099 issue. My PM investments are strictly in scrap silver and gold. When I can find an 18kt gold necklace that weighs 5.2 grams, and pay a quarter for it as it's marked, it's the best bang for the buck I've found. I don't always find that kind of bargain, but I'm passed 3lbs of .925 Silver for less than $200 of cash investment.... Reality of this type of PM acquisition is that it's becoming harder and harder to find silver or gold. Those that are really trying to buy gold and silver are going "Door-to-Door" and knocking on people's front door to asked if they want to sell old jewelry....

Even the garage sale "Dealers and Slicksters" are knocking as early as 3:45 A.M. in one instance. Another garage sale, the lady advertised "Jewelry" in a 7:00 A.M. opening, and they started knocking on her door before 6:00 A.M. When she wouldn't answer, they went next door and woke up her neighbors asking them if they knew about the garage sale.... Then, the neighbor got rather "Brassily" as she phoned the garage sale lady and told her she needed to get outside and handle "Those People".... :tongue3:

I do understand about the worth of the paper dollar in the coming days, but for now, the high profit margin I've managed allows me to turn the scrap PM's into other items that can help with food storage, updating small and large kitchen appliances, and completely pay for my solar photovoltaic array.... in case those things begin to shoot up in price or become a shortage.

I can remain pretty much selfsufficient... which is a different approach to the future than holding coins and bullion.

Thanks for your insights,
Bill

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
billjustbill said:
Thanks for the update on the repealed 1099 issue. My PM investments are strictly in scrap silver and gold. When I can find an 18kt gold necklace that weighs 5.2 grams, and pay a quarter for it as it's marked, it's the best bang for the buck I've found. I don't always find that kind of bargain, but I'm passed 3lbs of .925 Silver for less than $200 of cash investment.... Reality of this type of PM acquisition is that it's becoming harder and harder to find silver or gold. Those that are really trying to buy gold and silver are going "Door-to-Door" and knocking on people's front door to asked if they want to sell old jewelry....

Even the garage sale "Dealers and Slicksters" are knocking as early as 3:45 A.M. in one instance. Another garage sale, the lady advertised "Jewelry" in a 7:00 A.M. opening, and they started knocking on her door before 6:00 A.M. When she wouldn't answer, they went next door and woke up her neighbors asking them if they knew about the garage sale.... Then, the neighbor got rather "Brassily" as she phoned the garage sale lady and told her she needed to get outside and handle "Those People".... :tongue3:

I do understand about the worth of the paper dollar in the coming days, but for now, the high profit margin I've managed allows me to turn the scrap PM's into other items that can help with food storage, updating small and large kitchen appliances, and completely pay for my solar photovoltaic array.... in case those things begin to shoot up in price or become a shortage.

I can remain pretty much selfsufficient... which is a different approach to the future than holding coins and bullion.

Thanks for your insights,
Bill

Bill,

I think it would be great to do what you do like going to yard sales, etc. I just don't have the time or energy. I spent too much time CRHing after the finds disappeared for months and it totally burned me out. I imagine if I started going to yard sales here there would be tons of competition to score jewelry or other such things. The other day I got a few boxes of halves just for fun and it was not fun at all. Half way through the boxes I thought "what the h*ll am I doing?". Of course all skunks. I doubt I will ever buy boxes again but will get CWRs and machine bags from a few good banks I know of when I get the chance. Other than that my CRHing days are over. With all the bad stuff going on economically and otherwise in the world, a few 40%ers don't do much for me anymore. I am worried about how I am going to provide for myself and family in the future with the bad economy and all. Things are not going to get better for quite a while I believe. As you might have noticed even people with the so-called safe, secure "government" type jobs are being laid off for good. You know if those types of jobs are going, regular jobs are not going to be coming back too soon.

My view on how a person will profit or at least preserve capital with PM bullion is that as things continue to deteriorate, more money from wealthy sources will flow into PMs. This will happen all the way till the bubble bursts at some point in either 3 or at most 10 years. Historically, bull markets in PMs only last for so long, just like any other bull run. There will be a time to cash in for some new asset, whether that be land or some new currency created after all the modern day fiats fail, I don't know what it will be right now. I picture it like being in an elevator that is crashing down to the floor. If you jump right before it hits the ground you are OK. I doubt I will call the top in PMs exactly and get out at the very best time. But there are clues to look for and if a person is aware they will know. For example, when you see masses running to the coin stores to buy (instead of selling like they are now), it will be a hint that the bubble is not too far from bursting. When all the TV shows are talking about the must have asset (PMs), and there are no naysayers on said show telling you to buy stocks instead, it will be soon over.

Many people assume that wealthy people already are into PMs. But that is not true. I know a couple of them personally that don't own any gold/silver. These people are millionaires (to me that is very wealthy). Whenever I tell them about how high gold is they say "you better sell, that is going to go way down and you'll be sorry". They have been saying that to me since 2009 or earlier. Eventually they will give up resistance and buy into PMs, probably late in the final wave and maybe soon before the bubble bursts.

Some people assume we will have a "Mad Max" scenario where roaming hoards of bandits will prowl the land and there will be no type of law and order perpetually. If such a scenario comes to be, PMs will not be of much worth. I am betting that said scenario does not happen, except perhaps for a very short time due to some natural disaster or such, like after Katrina, etc. As long as we have law and order generally speaking, I see no way PMs will fail in the short term (3 years) and probably beyond. The question I always ask is "how are they gonna fix the dollar and debt situation?", now add "euro and debt situation in Europe?" as well. So far I have never heard or read a way to fix or cure the problem other than that put forth by Ron Paul and like minded folks. I doubt his approach will ever be taken seriously though.

I will bet that QE3 is a sure thing and will spark some life back into stocks when/if announced. They probably won't do that until things get a bit worse in the stock market, which could happen real quickly otherwise, especially if the European problems persist. But everyone knows adding more debt will only make the problem worse down the line, but in the short term it will keep the stock markets happy.

I still think a decent correction will come in PMs and it will shake out all the "weak hands". All the talking heads on the internet and TV will then proudly announce that PMs are dead and that you should stick your $$$$ into the safe stock market like they had been preaching all along. But then all of the sudden at some point the PMs will take off again like they have done after each correction in this current bull run. Many old timers and PM pundits say that the final wave up in a PM bull market is truly astounding and moves of $100 or more per day up or down in gold will be common as the volatility increases (silver will do likewise in proportional amounts). We have not hit this final wave yet but I believe it is coming. If a person does not own any when it happens they will be priced out of the market for good.

All just my opinion.

Jim

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

I think it would be great to do what you do like going to yard sales, etc. I just don't have the time or energy. I spent too much time CRHing after the finds disappeared for months and it totally burned me out. I imagine if I started going to yard sales here there would be tons of competition to score jewelry or other such things. The other day I got a few boxes of halves just for fun and it was not fun at all. Half way through the boxes I thought "what the h*ll am I doing?". Of course all skunks. I doubt I will ever buy boxes again but will get CWRs and machine bags from a few good banks I know of when I get the chance. Other than that my CRHing days are over. With all the bad stuff going on economically and otherwise in the world, a few 40%ers don't do much for me anymore. I am worried about how I am going to provide for myself and family in the future with the bad economy and all. Things are not going to get better for quite a while I believe. As you might have noticed even people with the so-called safe, secure "government" type jobs are being laid off for good. You know if those types of jobs are going, regular jobs are not going to be coming back too soon.

My view on how a person will profit or at least preserve capital with PM bullion is that as things continue to deteriorate, more money from wealthy sources will flow into PMs. This will happen all the way till the bubble bursts at some point in either 3 or at most 10 years. Historically, bull markets in PMs only last for so long, just like any other bull run. There will be a time to cash in for some new asset, whether that be land or some new currency created after all the modern day fiats fail, I don't know what it will be right now. I picture it like being in an elevator that is crashing down to the floor. If you jump right before it hits the ground you are OK. I doubt I will call the top in PMs exactly and get out at the very best time. But there are clues to look for and if a person is aware they will know. For example, when you see masses running to the coin stores to buy (instead of selling like they are now), it will be a hint that the bubble is not too far from bursting. When all the TV shows are talking about the must have asset (PMs), and there are no naysayers on said show telling you to buy stocks instead, it will be soon over.

Many people assume that wealthy people already are into PMs. But that is not true. I know a couple of them personally that don't own any gold/silver. These people are millionaires (to me that is very wealthy). Whenever I tell them about how high gold is they say "you better sell, that is going to go way down and you'll be sorry". They have been saying that to me since 2009 or earlier. Eventually they will give up resistance and buy into PMs, probably late in the final wave and maybe soon before the bubble bursts.

Some people assume we will have a "Mad Max" scenario where roaming hoards of bandits will prowl the land and there will be no type of law and order perpetually. If such a scenario comes to be, PMs will not be of much worth. I am betting that said scenario does not happen, except perhaps for a very short time due to some natural disaster or such, like after Katrina, etc. As long as we have law and order generally speaking, I see no way PMs will fail in the short term (3 years) and probably beyond. The question I always ask is "how are they gonna fix the dollar and debt situation?", now add "euro and debt situation in Europe?" as well. So far I have never heard or read a way to fix or cure the problem other than that put forth by Ron Paul and like minded folks. I doubt his approach will ever be taken seriously though.

I will bet that QE3 is a sure thing and will spark some life back into stocks when/if announced. They probably won't do that until things get a bit worse in the stock market, which could happen real quickly otherwise, especially if the European problems persist. But everyone knows adding more debt will only make the problem worse down the line, but in the short term it will keep the stock markets happy.

I still think a decent correction will come in PMs and it will shake out all the "weak hands". All the talking heads on the internet and TV will then proudly announce that PMs are dead and that you should stick your $$$$ into the safe stock market like they had been preaching all along. But then all of the sudden at some point the PMs will take off again like they have done after each correction in this current bull run. Many old timers and PM pundits say that the final wave up in a PM bull market is truly astounding and moves of $100 or more per day up or down in gold will be common as the volatility increases (silver will do likewise in proportional amounts). We have not hit this final wave yet but I believe it is coming. If a person does not own any when it happens they will be priced out of the market for good.

All just my opinion.

Jim
[/quote]

This says what you're saying:

http://howestreet.com/2011/08/recession-2011/

Thanks for your time and insights, it's going to be a cold winter and a long year.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread