Delbridge Token Help

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I cannot find any info on this token, Found in Central Florida and the only reference to a Delbridge token is from way out west and shares no resemblance. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 53

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not finding anything it either. Not in the Clark Florida Trade Tokens book. I'd suggest posting it on tokencatalog where more eyes will see it - if you'd like, I could post it there. That reverse does not appear in any of the listings there.
John in the Great 208

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Btoots, A simple find but interesting just the same!

It seems folks post a lot of tokens on here that don't seem to relate to any particular business or activity. I had this memory flashback yesterday about something I learned as a child. In Virginia, slot machines were illegal as was organized gambling of any kind where money changed hands directly. I believe it was the same pretty much throughout the country and at places like Atlantic City NJ they had gambling boats just outside the 3 mile limit to get around the laws. They still have them on the Mississippi!

When my folks moved into town in the summer of 63 I befriended an elder gent next door, who was quite an outdoorsman, and he became one of my mentors in life. He and his wife never had any kids so they pretty much did as they pleased and sometimes gambled a bit. In a conversation with my dad I heard him mention that the little tavern, over the hill, had a slot machine. he said he'd go down there for a beer, occasionally, and if there was a guy playing the slot machine he'd wait till the guy ran out of tokens and left. He'd then buy a dollars worth of tokens and give it a try while the machine was still "hot". The premise was, that the machine would pay off big time if the change box was stuffed to capacity. He hit it about every six weeks.

Accordingly, he allowed that as long as the machine didn't pay off directly in legal tender it, in the eyes of the state, was no more heinous than a bridge game! So folks could go in and purchase some tokens, drink beer and tempt fate a bit and no laws were broken. The only thing in the machine was worthless aluminum or brass slugs. The tokens could be redeemed for drinks, smokes or selections on the juke box. Pretty sweet! Of course, the law was sometimes stretched to include redemption in cash.

It's not unlikely that some of the tokens found that don't seem to be connected to anything were used for this purpose. After all, you wouldn't want them to be traceable!

Best wishes and good hunting!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But thank you, I know you’re the man when it comes to token so if you want to post it for me please do and let me know what you find because I guarantee you would be able to glean more than I would from any response That would be gotten that would be gotten. Thanks for the help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info, that’s pretty interesting stuff. Hopefully Idaho tokens can find something more about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re the man John, I’ll be watching, thanks again