Demon/Devil token?

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
My buddy found this in the walls or attic of his house. One side is in pretty bad shape. If he gets a minute he will forward me the pic but he doesn't think it will help in an ID. He also says it's about the size of a half dollar. I can't make out the letters. One word might be "Love" and the other "Myst" or maybe "Mystic". At first I thought maybe arcade token until he told me it was about the size of a half dollar. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• demontoken.jpg
    demontoken.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3,480

daroofa

Apr 8, 2010
Breckentucky MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Not sure on an ID but it could be a touch piece left by a previous superstitious owner to ward off evil/bring good fortune to the house.

"A touch piece is a coin or medal attached to attracted superstitious beliefs, such as those with "holes" in them or those with particular designs. Such pieces were believed to cure disease, bring good luck, influence people's behaviour, carry out a specific practical action, etc."

Touch piece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

Montauk

Sep 2, 2006
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Skrimpy ~

Interesting find. It would help if you could describe what it depicts. It looks like a flying Jester holding a sword in one hand and a cape in the other. But I'm just guessing.

Main Entry:
jester
Part of Speech:
noun
Definition:
person who jokes, plays jokes
Synonyms:
actor, antic, banterer, buffoon, card*, clown, comedian, comic, cutup, droll, fool, harlequin, humorist, japer, joker, jokester, larker, life of the party, madcap, pantaloon, practical joker, prankster, quipster, standup comic, trickster, wag, wisecracker, wit

Thanks.

SBB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I thought it looked like a devil. Could be a jester and yeah maybe some kind of new orlean mardis gras thing.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Montauk ~

Good job.

I think you are on to something. The devil-conjurer on the mystic coins appears to be holding a sword ... but it might be a cane, wand, or a staff. :icon_thumleft:

SBB

Mystic Coins.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
SBB, looks like you got it. Its a coin from a magic set. Found the exact one going on ebay. I guess the lister thinks its part of a set by somebody named Adams. I will mark the thread solved as soon as I figure out how to do it from the mobile site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGICIAN-TOKEN-MYSTX-DANCING-DEVIL-ADAMS-LOT-6-FREESHIP-/350416440183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5196728b77

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Sorry sbb and so sorry montauk. Have to give credit where its due and fess up when I $@&_$d up. I was doing ten things at once and not paying too close attention. I better go check the other stuff I was working on!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Oy! I just realized those coins are a little bit different than each other. I found another coin forum that had one of these on it too. Ill see if I can find it and sign up for the forum to see if the other guy ever figured out exactly where it came from.

A little more on my buddy's coin. He found it underneath a loose floor board. Seemed it had been nailed between the floor board in the attic and the joist. It had to have been put there purposely. There is some credence I think to the good luck token or to ward off evil spirits. House was built around 1910.

Upvote 0

DevonAvellis

Sep 29, 2012
Mass
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little odd me and my wife just found this same coin in the house yesterday . Was in a wood box with other coins and jewelry.
To me it looks like a magician with a wand and a cape on his back. My wife has lived in this house sent it was built so that's about 50 years. Her grand father was a magician so we thank it was his to do coin tricks with. ???

Upvote 0

Javaki Narie

Jun 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that I found in an old house

Mine has two sides and it reads magic myst . I used a pencil a sheet of paper and traced the coin so i could see it better or shaved the pencil over the paper over the coin .

the man is dancing on what appears to be the world and there is a cape . the man is holding a wand. now some on here said the coin is one sided but i have the same face on both sides . your coin had pebbles or something round in shape on the edges mine didnt . your coin also appeared to me to be a golden type of color maybe mine appears to be silver . I have not as of yet been able to find out what it means seriously . some say its to a magic set some say its for protection or to ward off evil demons or spirits but i just find it intriguing . :occasion14

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread