Depth determination with an IDX Pro

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
It's pretty easy. In your pinpoint mode a shallow target will have a louder response than a deep target. Likewise a large target will have a louder tone than a small item. The thing you have to do is when your in the pp mode. Estimate in your head according to the intensity of the tone of the depth. If you don't come up with a number you'll never learn. It's like " OK, that sounds pretty faint so I guess it's 7 inches" Then dig it and see. You will get good at it in no time. Remember that even a $1500 machine will give you a guess on depth on a coin sized target. If it's not coin sized all bets are off. Keep that in mind.

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
Yeah, I hunt with my idx pro and it is a practice of pulling coins from the ground. Like mentioned in your other response louder sounds in shallow targets, faint sounds with deeper ones. Like today i hit a dime at around 4 inches and to me it was between loud and faint. believe me I hunted with the DFX and I really did not pay attention to the depth meter. Years of experience is your depth meter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions