Desert Find

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been digging through my stuff, trying to find an insulator off the transcontinental telegraph. Back in the mid 60's I took a saddle horse and followed the stumps of the poles across the desert, looking for insulators. In that location, for the most part, those insulators had been picked up, because I only found part of one, and the bad news is, I don't know what became of it. But when I was looking for insulators, I found this unknown object. It was a surface find, and it appears it was bolted to wood, probably the thickness of a wagon side board, possibly as a tie-down. Is anyone on T.N. familiar with what this is? I've never seen one.
rams horn7A.jpg

rams horn6A.jpg
rams horn3A.jpg
rams horn1.jpg
rams horn2A.jpg

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Gate latch?

Certainly possible. Because I found it when looking for artifacts from the telegraph, in my mind I dated it to that time. However, there was a pony express station along that route, which still had a good well, where we pumped water for the cows. There were no pens or any sort of corrals located at the site when I was there. All that was left was rock walls about waist high. If it was a gate latch from there, someone had to have salvaged it, and then lost it on their way out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like it could have been bolted to a pole and routed a wire?????

Upvote 0

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a telegraph insulator possibly. There were so many variations. Here is one.
block1.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread