Detech coils

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
Hi guys. Im in the hunt for a new coil, out of the NF 8x6 and Detech 6" monos. I want small and light.
Im under the impression NF coils have all increased in weight due to a different plastic being used.
I see the older info on the 8x6 listed as 470g but the newer 510g. I noticed the 12" Evo I had, lighter coloured one felt physically heavier than the grey one I previously had. It felt just too heavy for its size.
Does anyone here have any experience using the Detech coils and in particular the 6" one on GPX PIs?
Cheers.

Upvote 0

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guys. Im in the hunt for a new coil, out of the NF 8x6 and Detech 6" monos. I want small and light.
Im under the impression NF coils have all increased in weight due to a different plastic being used.
I see the older info on the 8x6 listed as 470g but the newer 510g. I noticed the 12" Evo I had, lighter coloured one felt physically heavier than the grey one I previously had. It felt just too heavy for its size.
Does anyone here have any experience using the Detech coils and in particular the 6" one on GPX PIs?
Cheers.
Is it possible that there is more copper wire in the newer coils?
This could be a plus if the coil has more wire inside?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm pretty sure they put rocks in the coils to make them heavier. Take out the rocks or get a centrifuge if you want gold. A good battery powered centrifuge or electric pan will do the trick.

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
Is it possible that there is more copper wire in the newer coils?
This could be a plus if the coil has more wire inside?
Hi. No, there is a certain specific length of litz wire in them all. There is as much length of it in a 8" coil as there is in a 20" coil. I don't recall the exact length but for example say its 100 feet. Then there will be 100 feet in the 8" and 100 feet in the 20". The windings will naturally be more condensed in the small coil, more overall winds, less so in the large coil.
There is variations of how many strands the litz wire can have, but I got to field test some variations yrs ago with some more strands and some less to see which handled the ground better, I never noticed any perceivable difference in the weight of them. Just sensitivity and more or less ground noise.

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
I'm pretty sure they put rocks in the coils to make them heavier. Take out the rocks or get a centrifuge if you want gold. A good battery powered centrifuge or electric pan will do the trick.
😂 No, no rocks. I used to know a guy who drove his mates mad putting shotgun pellets in between the skid plate and coil making them think they had signals or the coil was playing up. He was a dirty pig too, I only knew him, not a friend. He'd take a crap and bury it with a coin in the crap for someone to dig up and hold in their hand. Utter pig.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi. No, there is a certain specific length of litz wire in them all. There is as much length of it in a 8" coil as there is in a 20" coil. I don't recall the exact length but for example say its 100 feet. Then there will be 100 feet in the 8" and 100 feet in the 20". The windings will naturally be more condensed in the small coil, more overall winds, less so in the large coil.
There is variations of how many strands the litz wire can have, but I got to field test some variations yrs ago with some more strands and some less to see which handled the ground better, I never noticed any perceivable difference in the weight of them. Just sensitivity and more or less ground noise.
The length is always the same however is the gauge of wire the same?

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
The length is always the same however is the gauge of wire the same?
Hi, yeah that im not clued up on wether or not the litz with more strands is thicker or wether the extras are thinner keeping it all the same diameter.
But I never noticed any weight difference from any with more or less strands.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, yeah that im not clued up on wether or not the litz with more strands is thicker or wether the extras are thinner keeping it all the same diameter.
But I never noticed any weight difference from any with more or less strands.
I have seen pictures of different litz wires, you are right the difference is the number of strands.
There may not be much difference in weight however should be a little more durable / rugged in life if the support plastic is very thin.

The manufacture tecs. may describe the difference in the makeup of the coil?
How much support plastic is used is hard to determine and weigh?

minerjosh

Apr 5, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
GPX4500/Nox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11” ultra mono is a very stable and sensitive coil. It’s a great choice on my 4500.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpeg
    IMG_1667.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1673.jpeg
    IMG_1673.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
AlgoForce E1500
11” ultra mono is a very stable and sensitive coil. It’s a great choice on my 4500.
That looks good. Sorry the late reply, I miss a lot at times.
I was tossing up the 6 Detech and NF. Iv been told two weeks for a new build coil from someone for the Algo and to wait. So I will and let you guys know how it goes on the it. 👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread