Detecting after Dorian

maxpower151

Aug 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

While it's not entirely certain where hurricane Dorian is going to hit, it's a good bet that the sands on the treasure coast in Florida are going to shift. I want to head out there after the storm (assuming roads are passable and it makes any sense to do so) and see if anything washed up from the 1715 fleet. Any advice from seasoned Floridian detectorists? Also, is anyone in west or central Florida interested in making the trip too?

***CLARIFICATION***
I have no intention of heading TOWARDS the storm and being on the east coast for it. However, in the days after it passes, or perhaps the next weekend, I'd like to head over there.

Thanks

Last edited:
You have a good idea, especially if it strengthens to a Category 4 as they are projecting!

If you live through it. Treasure isn't worth your life. PLUS the stuff will be around for weeks to come, just like it was with Sandy, we found the shipwreck coins for over a year and TONS of folks were detecting.

if it lands as a Cat 4 why not stay home instead of getting in the way of everyone that's trying to help.

The panhandle still ain't right and it's been over a year since Hurricane Michael.

Plenty of time to clog the roads later.

To clarify, I mean to head out there in the days AFTER the storm. Perhaps even the following weekend if areas are flooded.

Up north here after Sandy, the road was closed for two weeks. No one could get to the beach unless they hiked 5 miles.

In addition to the hurricane Friday marks the beginning of Florida’s “ king tides “ when the tides will be highest due to the moon.

Hi All,

While it's not entirely certain where hurricane Dorian is going to hit, it's a good bet that the sands on the treasure coast in Florida are going to shift. I want to head out there after the storm (assuming roads are passable and it makes any sense to do so) and see if anything washed up from the 1715 fleet. Any advice from seasoned Floridian detectorists? Also, is anyone in west or central Florida interested in making the trip too?

***CLARIFICATION***
I have no intention of heading TOWARDS the storm and being on the east coast for it. However, in the days after it passes, or perhaps the next weekend, I'd like to head over there.

Thanks

I bought my metal detector just in time for this! I live in Southwest Florida and am looking forward to hunting the beaches in the days after. I'm interested to see what the impact is on Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach. We should get some wind and rain unless it moves further north than currently projected. We'll see what happens. Good luck!

Hi All,

***CLARIFICATION***

Thanks

I will be there...found 3 spanish coins and a silver cross last storm

Hi All,

***CLARIFICATION***

Thanks

By the next weekend it will be over. As soon as it's possible to hunt people will be out. I plan on being there as soon as possible after the storm if I still have a house.

Up north here after Sandy, the road was closed for two weeks. No one could get to the beach unless they hiked 5 miles.

This ain't ""Up north"..... It's different here...... for now....

very seldom does stuff wash up - most of the time its uncovered on the treasure coast
usually need waters to come into shore at an angle to make cuts
seen times where water came straight in and just piled more sand on top

might want to call first, as of today Saturday: closed.JPG

I may try the ocean beaches here after it blows by.

very seldom does stuff wash up - most of the time its uncovered on the treasure coast
usually need waters to come into shore at an angle to make cuts
seen times where water came straight in and just piled more sand on top

Spot on, more times than not the storms have brought sand in rather than taken it off the areas we like to hunt the most.

I'm sure that sign will be blown away by the time the storm is done..
Besides can the government really even close public land legally?

They can and do.

If it comes in at a 4-5 The road will be closed for days. If your not a local resident and can prove it you are not going to get past the roadblocks because of looting. And the answer to the above post, Yes, you can be arrested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back