What's new

Detecting in my uncles back yard

sathmcnugent

Jr. Member
Joined
May 2, 2008
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I decided to go metal detecting in my uncles back yard. His house is around 130 years old. I found several coins on the property. I found one 1891 morgan dollar several wheat cents oldest one being 1920, a 1945 merc, a 46 rosie, and a 1903 indian head. However inbetween finding the coins I found this old gun! At first I thought it was a toy until I saw it was loaded. There are no numbers or markings on it that can be read. I pried one of the bullets from it to try to ID what it may have been but I am guessing its an old 32 or 25 by the size of the shell casing. My uncle was worried that it may have been a murder weapon. I found it about 20 yeards from the back porch and about 6-8 inches deep. Not worth much but it was something totally unique to find!..You just never know whats out there!! Thanks for looking and HH.
 

Attachments

  • detecting gun 2.webp
    detecting gun 2.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 657
  • detecting gun 1.webp
    detecting gun 1.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 647
  • detecting gun 3.webp
    detecting gun 3.webp
    13.5 KB · Views: 645
  • detecting gun 4.webp
    detecting gun 4.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 655
  • detecting finds.webp
    detecting finds.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 655
Upvote 0
sathmcnugent said:
I decided to go metal detecting in my uncles back yard. His house is around 130 years old. I found several coins on the property. I found one 1891 morgan dollar several wheat cents oldest one being 1920, a 1945 merc, a 46 rosie, and a 1903 indian head. However inbetween finding the coins I found this old gun! At first I thought it was a toy until I saw it was loaded. There are no numbers or markings on it that can be read. I pried one of the bullets from it to try to ID what it may have been but I am guessing its an old 32 or 25 by the size of the shell casing. My uncle was worried that it may have been a murder weapon. I found it about 20 yeards from the back porch and about 6-8 inches deep. Not worth much but it was something totally unique to find!..You just never know whats out there!! Thanks for looking and HH.


Probably not a good idea to point the loaded gun at you when you take the picture. LOL!

Jim
 
sathmcnugent said:
I decided to go metal detecting in my uncles back yard. His house is around 130 years old. I found several coins on the property. I found one 1891 morgan dollar several wheat cents oldest one being 1920, a 1945 merc, a 46 rosie, and a 1903 indian head. However inbetween finding the coins I found this old gun! At first I thought it was a toy until I saw it was loaded. There are no numbers or markings on it that can be read. I pried one of the bullets from it to try to ID what it may have been but I am guessing its an old 32 or 25 by the size of the shell casing. My uncle was worried that it may have been a murder weapon. I found it about 20 yeards from the back porch and about 6-8 inches deep. Not worth much but it was something totally unique to find!..You just never know whats out there!! Thanks for looking and HH.

Do you have a picture of the bullet? If it was me I would see how much it cost to repair it? How many people have a gun they found buried in the back yard?

How long do you think it was underground? It could have been from a hunter. I carry one or two hand guns with me when I go hunting.

-SWUSC
 
Be carefull with the gun. Nice haul on the coins. A Silver dollar is on my wish list.
 
Well with the house being a 130 years old I doubt it was a hunter :) I could see a hunter losing a pistol while walking through the woods.


I missed that part earlier. Can you read anything on the gun?

I am not a 100% sure, but I don't the .25 or .32 are over a 130 years old. (1878) If that is the gun, then the house was built first. That is very weird.

I 2nd the be careful with the gun.
 
jim4silver said:
sathmcnugent said:
I decided to go metal detecting in my uncles back yard. His house is around 130 years old. I found several coins on the property. I found one 1891 morgan dollar several wheat cents oldest one being 1920, a 1945 merc, a 46 rosie, and a 1903 indian head. However inbetween finding the coins I found this old gun! At first I thought it was a toy until I saw it was loaded. There are no numbers or markings on it that can be read. I pried one of the bullets from it to try to ID what it may have been but I am guessing its an old 32 or 25 by the size of the shell casing. My uncle was worried that it may have been a murder weapon. I found it about 20 yeards from the back porch and about 6-8 inches deep. Not worth much but it was something totally unique to find!..You just never know whats out there!! Thanks for looking and HH.


Probably not a good idea to point the loaded gun at you when you take the picture. LOL!

Jim
Thats the 1st thing i thought to.........aa
 
plehbah said:
sfwusc said:

It could have been from a hunter. I carry one or two hand guns with me when I go hunting.

-SWUSC

You only carry three guns? Is that in case the turkey discovers your first backup weapon?


:) I carry the 22 to finish off anything not dead from the first shot or for rattlesnakes. The Glock is more...i just carry it with me. I have been known to have a 22 rifle and shot gun if hunting squirrels. Turkeys just a shotgun (22 rifle would get me in trouble with the DNR).

-SWUSC
 
jim4silver said:
sathmcnugent said:
I decided to go metal detecting in my uncles back yard. His house is around 130 years old. I found several coins on the property. I found one 1891 morgan dollar several wheat cents oldest one being 1920, a 1945 merc, a 46 rosie, and a 1903 indian head. However inbetween finding the coins I found this old gun! At first I thought it was a toy until I saw it was loaded. There are no numbers or markings on it that can be read. I pried one of the bullets from it to try to ID what it may have been but I am guessing its an old 32 or 25 by the size of the shell casing. My uncle was worried that it may have been a murder weapon. I found it about 20 yeards from the back porch and about 6-8 inches deep. Not worth much but it was something totally unique to find!..You just never know whats out there!! Thanks for looking and HH.


Probably not a good idea to point the loaded gun at you when you take the picture. LOL!

Jim

Hey, The gun is not going to go off at all. Every part of this gun is froze up and the actuall lead bullet is in the form of sand. The Shell I took out was only the casing the lead just crubled and when it hit the floor is was just sand like. So I dont think I have to worry about pointing it at myself.
 
does anyone have any info on this gun as to a date or type? possible to give an educated guess about value? I had a war vet who was very interrested in the gun and he said some people are willing to put 2 to 3 grand into this gun just to say they have one...from what he told me im guessing there is some value here but he wouldnt say much on that..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom