Detecting in Portugal

zozo4

Mar 16, 2023
I live in the Algarve in Southern Portugal. From what I´ve read on the internet, detecting is prohibited in the country unless a permit is issued. There is no mention of detecting on your own land and I wonder if this is allowed as we have quite a big plot of land.
I´ve also read that there are metal detecting clubs in Portimão and Lagoa but I can´t find any contact details for either. These clubs would probably be able to explain far more about the ins and outs of detecting in Portugal.
Can anyone on this forum point me in the right direction of the clubs please?

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am actually considering a move to Portugal, I'd like to know this aswell. I've done some research on the subject and was searching tonight hoping to find a dedicated forum to the region. It seems that permits are required for beaches and public places and personal property is more like UK law, where you have to report all of your finds and they have the right to come in with an archaeologist etc. as well as sell the find and split the money with you. I would really like to what the actual policy is, I'd hate to move and lose my gear. I've heard anecdotally that it can be seized even if your driving around with it in your vehicle under suspicion of "nighthawking"

NavyDT

Jul 23, 2010
Hello,

I am moving to algarve as well, to Tavira. Has anyone figured out how to get a permit or any of the forementioned clubs contact information?

Very respectfully,
NavyDT

bottlecap4u

Jan 15, 2024
Hmm...was planning on visiting Portugal so the topic is of interest to me. Did some digging online, from what I'm reading, everything points to getting a permit is required from the Direção-Geral do Património Cultural (DGPC), read these permits range from 6-12 months, are required, even walking around with a detector without one might get you a heavy fine and confiscation. Process to obtain one takes some time, so plan ahead. I visited the ministry's webpage, but nothing directly on obtaining a permit that I could find, so might be worth reaching out to them directly at your end. Link to cultural ministry website - https://www.patrimoniocultural.gov.pt/instituicao/contactos/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread