Detecting in the snow with hope, came back with lots of tabs (I’m sick of winter)

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been snowing here for weeks, it just keeps building up. I finally got tired of staying home and decided to go to the east where there’s less snow and see if I could have some luck. I went to campus and detected a section that I did a couple years ago hoping for some new losses and maybe some thing I missed the first time around. The first time I did this section I pretty much cherry picked just going for the high tones and the better mid tones and not cleaning up like I do when I grid normally because this section was so full of tabs, foil and cans slaw. When arrived there was about 5 inches of snow on the ground and I knew that I wouldn’t be able to get any targets that were really deep because my coil would be so high above the actual ground. Whenever you go out you always hope that there’s a button or some little piece of gold hiding there in those mid tones but this time most of what was hiding in the mid tones were zinc pennies, a few nickels and a boatload of tabs. Among the tabs there were two of the game tabs from two different games. All the pennies were zincs and two of them are pretty well eaten so they’re junk. All in all I found 13 coins with a grand total of $.72 in face value in my 4 hours of swingin at the campus. Also a starter blank, an earpiece from someone’s glasses and part of an old horseshoe from the farm that was here. Nothing great, but at least I got a chance to get out.

0685D478-7227-4FC7-A530-2E5C5DDC0812.jpeg A250746A-24FE-4DB7-9EBC-1DB80CF33570.jpeg

65DD4EAA-21D1-4010-A4EF-20FAB1B0B19C.jpeg

I went back to the old high school and did more swingin in the snow. Again nothing great, but I got out and I did find a few coins. In 4 hours I managed to find 44 coins (35 were pennies) with a face value of $1.80, a dog’s ID tag, a copper roof fastener, a copper rivet, a DO NOT DUPLICATE key, a brass plate, a compact, a combination lock dial, and a few tabs and slaw. I was hoping some of those mid tones might be more civil war bullets, but no luck there. (The compact is marked KISSPROOF USA so it was made between 1927 and the early 1940’s.)

A2D1E230-328E-43A1-A7D5-C4A932C9A5EB.jpeg

The roof fastener in unmarked like most of them I find around here. The rivet could be from the civil war, but most likely it is more modern. There is no way to date the unmarked ones. The key has CCC stamped on the back. My first thought was the Civilian Conservation Corps of the 1930’s. The key looks too modern for that so I think it is probably from a local country club whose name starts with a C.

05D3A985-8BAC-44FB-B67F-BBAB2F76F2B7.jpeg 5B72EBE1-29CC-4995-B584-ACCE1B611B4D.jpeg

I went to a local sport complex for 3.5 hours of swingin the CZ21 in an area where the wind had blown the snow and pretty much cleared this field so I could get the deeper targets. I found 38 coins with a face value of $2.47, a cheapie kiddie bracelet (eyeball find in the parking lot), old spark plug, odd pewter piece, copper jacket bullet, tabs, can slaw and some screw off aluminum soda caps. The screw off aluminum soda caps are right up there with can slaw and pop tabs as something you hate to find. They sound so good most of the time you have to dig them, but it is such a let down when you see what is in the plug. Another thing that bugs me is the metal eraser end of a wooden pencil. They sound off with a mid/high tone like a deep bullet or small button so you need to dig them. On one school field I haven’t detected in a while, there are quite a few of them, but I have also dug a nice bunch of smaller civil war dropped pistol bullets. So when you get that signal you don’t know if you are getting a trick or a treat.

666D76D2-8CB5-4188-A111-4FA2ED4356BC.jpeg

I found a little piece of something. I believe it is pewter. The piece has about the same pattern on the front and back. From the shape and size best guess is that it is part of a fancy old spoon handle. If anyone recognizes it, please let me know. Most of what comes out of this park is modern, but I have found a couple of old buttons and civil war bullets. Not much, but enough to know there is a little history here.

2FA1E43B-B407-410B-B277-632679CEA515.jpeg 964CCAF1-906F-4F72-AF03-BD2F9EAB3548.jpeg

I can’t wait for the spring thaw to get here. But they are calling for more snow and colder temperatures (this morning at 6:30 when I took my walk it was 7 degrees). Hopefully they won’t get much snow to the east so I can still get out and do a little swingin. Thanks for looking, stay safe (and warm) and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 11

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sparkplug is old! It's part of a three piece plug used in the 20's and before!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sparkplug is old! It's part of a three piece plug used in the 20's and before!

Thanks Tony in SC. I was having trouble finding info on that. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a mighty fine collection of pulltabs!
I feel your pain. Lots of snow up here in Mass. I give you credit just for getting out and giving it a shot. Spring can't come soon enough!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
We have 32” of yankee sunshine on the ground here so we’ve been planning more trips to cape cod where there is less snow and warmer temps ( usually) but I feel your pain brother...............

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you could get out, I have about 7-8 inches of snow on the ground and heading to 0 or lower next few days, so probably be mid-march before a good thaw. Always like to see what others are finding during the seemingly endless winter.

I liked your fancy pulltabs with the game on them, dont recall seeing any of those.

Good luck out there

AJH

Jan 10, 2021
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Bounty Hunter
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like the history of pull tabs! Congrats on all your finds!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you could get out, I have about 7-8 inches of snow on the ground and heading to 0 or lower next few days, so probably be mid-march before a good thaw. Always like to see what others are finding during the seemingly endless winter.

I liked your fancy pulltabs with the game on them, dont recall seeing any of those.

Good luck out there

Thanks for the reply. I remember 3 or 4 pull tab games I think in the 70’s. It’s hard to remember exactly when. I’m going out today before the next wave of snow hits and the zero temps for later this week. Good luck out there everyone. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a hell of a lot of pull tabs.

What did Hope get?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread