Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Detecting in the USA? Don't do it.

For anyone who is thinking of detecting in the USA, here's what you need to do first:

Make a list of all the public places you currently detect at (beaches, schools, campgrounds, parks, etc...). Now take that list to the most "purist" archie in your state (perhaps at the lead university, perhaps in state capitol, etc...). Show him your list, and ask him: "Is it ok if I metal detect here and find old coins, for my own fun and enjoyment and to put on ebay for my own enrichment?" And sit back and listen to his dire warnings. Be sure to mention ARPA, indian bones, treasure, holes and other such buzz-words, lest they not understand the full impact of your question.

Then you too can avail yourself of such information the archies have for you. You wouldn't want to break any laws they appraise you of, WOULD YOU? Now hurry and go do the "right thing".

Why don't we all just stop detecting, or stick to private property with permission, eh? Oh wait, I forgot, private property with permission is illegal in all but the UK and the USA (and even then-so, depending on who you ask).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you "Drunk Posting" again Tom? :laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For anyone who is thinking of detecting in the USA, here's what you need to do first:

Make a list of all the public places you currently detect at (beaches, schools, campgrounds, parks, etc...). Now take that list to the most "purist" archie in your state (perhaps at the lead university, perhaps in state capitol, etc...). Show him your list, and ask him: "Is it ok if I metal detect here and find old coins, for my own fun and enjoyment and to put on ebay for my own enrichment?" And sit back and listen to his dire warnings. Be sure to mention ARPA, indian bones, treasure, holes and other such buzz-words, lest they not understand the full impact of your question.

Then you too can avail yourself of such information the archies have for you. You wouldn't want to break any laws they appraise you of, WOULD YOU? Now hurry and go do the "right thing".

Why don't we all just stop detecting, or stick to private property with permission, eh? Oh wait, I forgot, private property with permission is illegal in all but the UK and the USA (and even then-so, depending on who you ask).
I have a better shorter version Tom...just pay to dig all your sites, and then turn all your finds over to the Archy's...every ones a winner :thumbsup:

SS

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in ny so I can't hunt my land .can't even let my beagle out he ,digs up one more bone they'll throw the keys away.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thing is the laws only cover natural things on public land, and artifacts. But If its on private land it's your to do what you want. That's why every time some digs up a old corpse on their land they are responsible to dispose of it not the state. If it was as illegal as you say everyone on any of these treasure site would be in jail. Any body who sells arrow heads on CL would be in jail. All the tv show people would be in jail, including any antique dealers. In the UK it is illegal t keep items over a certain age but there the government still owns the ground. Your deed states you only own the surface. The only reason I'm sure on that is a article a out a guy who found some old pins and it had it in that article, stating the archy laws. That's the nice thing about America we have the freedom to do what we want within reason. If you read the laws for state lands it says minerals or wild follage ect, nothing about man made items such as coins or relics. The state is only concerned about the natural resources not junk in their eyes. I know a lot of people will argue with that but reread the law for it. The way they get you is saying of destruction of property. But that can be gotten around by returning it to the original condition you found it. In some parks like metro parks you can't even pick up a walnut or be funded, that's because it's a natural resource for everyone to enjoy. I still wouldn't try digging coins though lol.

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, that is true---- to a certain point. The written regs./law are suppose to be just that--the law.
But they will be twisted & enforced how ever they see fit. Here again, ask 5 government workers a
simple question, and get 9 different answers.
My way, dig & say nothing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread