Detecting, insulator graveyard, bottles, etc.

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everyone,

Great finds lately! I thought I'd share a couple little recent hunts of my own:

This first hunt was a couple days ago, a detecting trip back to the old house site where I found the 1845 seated half dime and c.1830 blacksmith token. I have yet to locate the privy, but I'll be trying harder to find it in the future, since I won't be detecting in the fields too much until after the harvest (they just seeded, don't wanna mess with their crops). Hopefully there will be some more metal stuff turned up by then! Anyway, while digging a signal I did find the bottom of a pontiled bottle, as well as some ground-lip fruit jar pieces, so the good glass is there, I just have to find it! But yeah, I found another beefy musket ball, a D buckle, two more of those 1844 half penny tokens, and a couple interesting metal rings, the second of which I found very interesting, it's a super crude old solid copper ring that looks almost like a bracelet (pretty small though), but I'm not sure what it is. Anyone know? I think it got hit by the plow at some point, and I was playing around with it and bent it back to where it may have originally joined together in one continuous ring. And, I included this little trickster on the very left, an almost perfectly circular flake of stone that looked a heck of a lot like a dirty coin on the surface, haha.

The second hunt was yesterday, and I was out looking for some glass this time! I originally went to check out a dump that I found in the winter, but it was still waaay too wet, so within minutes I packed up and started heading right back home. But this place is pretty far away and I didn't want to waste the trip, so I meandered through the woods searching for nothing in particular. Then I suddenly came across another dump! I saw some nice looking shards, and this insulator staring out from the leaf litter (broken), and so I unpacked again and got to work. That broken insulator was to be the first of many, for I soon had quite the pile going (that second last picture of the pile isn't even all of them, only the ones that landed in the same spot when I tossed them). There were so many varieties and colours, I couldn't believe it - broken, broken, broken. Some kids probably had a good time smashing 'em up back in the day. Anyway, I started focusing on finding some other things, because intact insulators were not on the menu. I'd say most of the bottles were from about 1930 to 1960, with the odd small blown one mixed in there (the bigger old stuff probably got smashed along with the insulators). For blown stuff I found an E.H Jackson med (no idea), a wonky looking perfume, a tiny amber slick, and a great little octagonal bottle. The octagonal bottle has some gold paint or something in it, which is interesting because the only other clear tiny octagonal bottle I've found contained the very same thing. But yeah, I also found a fork for my cutlery bucket, a little plastic toy elephant, a good ol' Milk of Magnesia, and a whole plate (in situ pic, forgot to clean it up). Toward the end of the day, I ended up getting rewarded with two intact insulators! I just laughed out loud, to be honest. I am hoping to get a purple one, or this other one that was a nice smoky colour - there are more there, that's for sure. The tiny insulator on the far right was the lone find from a hunt a couple weeks ago, and I just threw it in this group pic because I've already got enough pictures here as it is. It's a beauty, it's unmarked, I think it's pretty old, super bubbly, nice patina.

Anyway, that's all for now folks. Keep bringing home the goods!

NJ

DSCF3346.JPG DSCF3398.JPG DSCF3383.JPG DSCF3357.JPG DSCF3390.JPG DSCF3408.JPG DSCF3349.JPG DSCF3739.JPG DSCF3511.JPG DSCF3512.JPG DSCF3677.JPG DSCF3668.JPG DSCF3514.JPG DSCF3695.JPG DSCF3702.JPG DSCF3712.JPG DSCF3531.JPG DSCF3743.JPG

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those tokens are great. The rings may be parts of a bridle, not for sure though. Never seen some many insulators, wow! Someone had a collection for sure. Good post and don’t give up locating that privy

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks dudes! I did find yet another decent shallow dump on the way home too, might try to make it back out there today. I'll keep you posted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread