Does anyone know the laws about detecting in Mansfield Ohio I can't find anything and have never hunted parks or schools and would like to try it. Didn't know if they had laws against it?

.... When it comes to public schools, they are considered private property and you technically need to get permission from the superintendent.
Huh ? Not sure how you come up with that. Is that just an Ohio thing ? Here in CA, public schools are ... doh ... public. Oh sure, they have the obligatory fences around them, and the obligatory "visitors check in at the office" signs. But they are hunted routinely. There's usually a turn-style opening, or permanently propped open gate. And ... so long as you pick off-hours times (Sat. PMs, etc...) you're fine.
....that the school district, not the city itself that owns the property therefore it's technically private property even though it's a 'public school'. It's very confusing....
Ice-wing, perhaps it can get into a muddied mess of public vs private. I don't disagree. And perhaps the same can be said of CA. I can think of a rodeo grounds I grew up near, that was "leased" (for $1 p/year) to some sort of board of directors association. Hence "private". But ... realistically speaking (in practical application), sort of different. Ie.: it never stopped anyone from md'ing there (so long as you weren't a nuisance, wearing neon orange).
So for schools, not sure about your area, but where I'm at: It would not be uncommon to see someone jogging the track, shooting hoops, flying a kite, walking their dog, etc... DESPITE EVERYTHING YOU ARE SAYING. So, despite such legal verbiage, .... as long as no one gripes, and as long as a gate is open, then ... it's hard to find someone to say "scram". Just depends.
If some school has experience vandalism, theft, perverts, etc... then perhaps they might enforce or "shoo people away". Maybe I'm just not skittish enough, but .... I detect schools. Oh sure, if a cop or school person said something, I would give lip service and move on though.

.... Enforcement is a different subject entirely, ...
You would think most guys would know this but...You would be surprised! I'm sure your allowed , but that will get you disliked in a hurry. Just sit and wait till everyone clears out then you will have the whole place! We use to go first thing Sunday morning or late in the evening when everything was empty.... I've detected every school and ball field I could find. Not once was I chased out. .....
You really should check into it yourself....But! If nothing has changed in the past few years? There never was any that I know of before. No to State parks, except beach areas. Other parks probably depend.
I was just in Mansfield this summer!
Schools?
I've detected every school and ball field I could find. Not once was I chased out.
I lived in the Akron/Canton area when I was detecting a lot.
Just don't be the clown trying to detect during recess or during a sports game.You would think most guys would know this but...You would be surprised! I'm sure your allowed , but that will get you disliked in a hurry. Just sit and wait till everyone clears out then you will have the whole place! We use to go first thing Sunday morning or late in the evening when everything was empty.
Some are even lit up at night pretty good, but times have changed fast in recent years and probably not good to hang around at night. Even though we have gone at all hours in the past since they were lit up so well. Never had a problem or ever questioned.
The best place is on the center line for soccer or football. That's where you will find quarters from the coin toss.
.... all other areas require a permit ....
Ohio state parks it's legal to detect the sand on the beaches without a permit, all other areas require a permit which can be obtained by going to the state park office and asking for one. They expire on midnight Dec 31st of the year you were issued one.
Is the sand/dirt above a flowing river/stream considered "sand on a beach"? ...
LOL The reason I ask is because I am a lawyer and some people really do split that hair (annoying to no end). But honestly I am a complete newbie when it comes to this hobby and have no idea how strict some people are.

So I should shy away from my neighbors lawn and the golf greens?![]()
Oh and one more law you should be aware of : You are required to send me 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal. 
YupOh and one more law you should be aware of : You are required to send me 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal.
![]()
Heck I HOPE I find enough that I would be able to pay that "royalty".Seeing as how you're from Illinois, I'm assuming you've gotten those "permits". Question for you: In all your years of md'ing, were you ever "carded" to show it ?