Detecting laws

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the sand/dirt above a flowing river/stream considered "sand on a beach"? Beach is defined as "the part of the shore of a...river... washed by the tide or waves." So it sounds like that would qualify, but does the state have a different definition? Beach | Define Beach at Dictionary.com

No it is not, as a matter of fact the metro parks allow you to detect dry river beds without a permit. State parks define the beach and you see wooden signs directing you to them.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm I wonder about detecting in the sand traps ;) Heck I HOPE I find enough that I would be able to pay that "royalty".

The best place to detect at a golf course is around the 19th hole.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... yes I have been confronted by one of the state park rangers at my local state park. I knew the rules better than he did. ....

ok. So when that one guy confronted you, it was not to "card you to see if you had the permit" . Right ? Since you're saying you knew the rules better than him.

The reason I ask, is we have a certain city in CA where a "permit" was dreamed up multiple decades ago. Yet. ... humorously, no one in that's ever md'd in that city's parks has EVER been "carded". A friend of mine even tried hard to get carded. He purposefully did circles around several park workers who were doing some sort of work on a sprinkler line. They paid him no mind or attention at all. So .... it's sort of become a joke as to whether anyone needs it or not, in that city.

The "permits" are dealt with through the club, who sends a 1x p/year check to the city. But one time, a person (who was not a club member) went to city hall to get one. He got shunted back and forth between 4 or 5 desks and departments, as non one had any idea what he was talking about. Doh !

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No it is not, as a matter of fact the metro parks allow you to detect dry river beds without a permit. State parks define the beach and you see wooden signs directing you to them.

But does a dry river bed mean there is no water at all? If there is some water you could technically still detect the "beach" outside the river water. Crazy there was so many rules for MDing.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being born and lived in Ohio for many years. I would say yes its against the law to do anything. But there are many detecting groups that cab guide you. I have friends who post a lot of finds from Ohio and with that said, you are on a grand adventure.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok. So when that one guy confronted you, it was not to "card you to see if you had the permit" . Right ? Since you're saying you knew the rules better than him.

The reason I ask, is we have a certain city in CA where a "permit" was dreamed up multiple decades ago. Yet. ... humorously, no one in that's ever md'd in that city's parks has EVER been "carded". A friend of mine even tried hard to get carded. He purposefully did circles around several park workers who were doing some sort of work on a sprinkler line. They paid him no mind or attention at all. So .... it's sort of become a joke as to whether anyone needs it or not, in that city.

The "permits" are dealt with through the club, who sends a 1x p/year check to the city. But one time, a person (who was not a club member) went to city hall to get one. He got shunted back and forth between 4 or 5 desks and departments, as non one had any idea what he was talking about. Doh !

The ranger who confronted me told me that detecting on the sandy beach was illegal, I chuckled and told him that he might want to brush up on the park regulations and then I told him that according to the rules of the Ohio state parks the beach area is the only area where you didn't need a permit, but all other parts of the park require one and then I handed him my permission letter. The park is within 1/2 mile from my house and I go to the office every spring and get a permit. It is much easier to hunt looking at the ground than having to continually look over your shoulder hoping you can get in and out unnoticed.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But does a dry river bed mean there is no water at all? If there is some water you could technically still detect the "beach" outside the river water. Crazy there was so many rules for MDing.

Ohio state park rule from their Q&A section

Can I use a metal detector at an Ohio State Park?
Use of metal detectors is allowed on the sandy portion of the beach area at any of our state park beaches. Written permission must be obtained from the park manager at the park of your choice to use a metal detector in any other park area.

Lorain County Metro Parks Rule

25.2 No person shall bring in or use any device or instrument used to detect metallic objects without prior written permission, except metal detectors may be used on sand beaches and dry riverbeds only.

OP
OP
N

no_limits

Apr 8, 2017
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett's ace 250/ Garrett AT pro/ AT pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the all the responses all have good points

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ohio state park rule from their Q&A section

Can I use a metal detector at an Ohio State Park?
Use of metal detectors is allowed on the sandy portion of the beach area at any of our state park beaches. Written permission must be obtained from the park manager at the park of your choice to use a metal detector in any other park area.

Lorain County Metro Parks Rule

25.2 No person shall bring in or use any device or instrument used to detect metallic objects without prior written permission, except metal detectors may be used on sand beaches and dry riverbeds only.

Have you had many issues trying to get permission for either State or Lorain Metro? Are they day, week or season permission?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you had many issues trying to get permission for either State or Lorain Metro? Are they day, week or season permission?

No problem getting the one at Findley State Park, it lasts from when issued to the end of the year.

I have gotten a couple permissions from the Metro Parks (via email), but they are inconvenient since you they are issued for a specific date and time range. I normally get them for a day beginning at 8AM and ending at 5PM. They gave me a few permissions for one of the reservations. Since then, I have not had any luck getting into another park of interest. Maybe I can get permission on a weekday since the park is not very busy.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
armor9: Don't forget, the few particular instances that loco-digger is citing to, are *just* those locations. Ie.: the state parks and a single county's park system. If other entities you come to are silent on the subject (don't mention md'ing at all in their rules), then presto: It's not dis-allowed.

... Crazy there was so many rules for MDing.

Not really. Actually it's VERY rare for any cities or counties to have EVER dreamed up rules or laws (or permits or whatever) for md'ing . Only on the state parks level or Fed. levels do you bump into cultural heritage, or specific rules that might, in fact, have something specific on md'ing. But rarely ever on the county or city level.

For example, in the entire state of CA, I can think of only 3 or 4 locations that ever dreamed up a permit or rule: A single county and 3 cities. Out of DOZENS of counties and a thousand cities. And quite frankly, you'd be hard-pressed even in those locations to find anyone to even know about it (so long as you weren't tromping on obvious historic sensitive monuments).

I think the reason why it might SEEM to be "so many rules" to a newbie, is like the psychology of shark attack news accounts: If you read one newspaper story of a shark attack, guess what you'll be thinking of next time you go to swim at the beach ? But that doesn't take into account that tens of thousands of people per day swim, and DON'T get attacked by sharks. So too is it with md'ing: It's easy when we read of some isolated place with a rule, or hear of one isolated fluke md'r who got hassled, and presto: We think "everyone dislikes us" and "I must grovel for permission wherever I go" and "rules are crushing down on us".

So don't over-think it. :)

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no detecting along the ohio canal either. thats federal land....big No no...heck i wouldnt even pee behind a tree there...
Many of the local parks i just call the town office and speak to somebody there, Fairview park and rocky river have no restrictions except the ball fields...whitch to me is common sense.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....i just call the town office and speak to somebody there, Fairview park and rocky river have no restrictions ....

How much you want to make a bet that I could call the "town office" and speak to someone there, that would say there IS restrictions ? All I'd need to do is mention "holes", "dig", "take", "remove", etc......

So if you got a "yes", it simply means you didn't ask the right persons in the right way . Ie.: you were mincing words and playing Russian Roulette .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread