Detector for a friend

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that is wanting to get into detecting and he was asking about what machine to get. He was looking at the garret ace series or something similar. I was thinking about also mentioning the nokta simplex to him as well. Are there any other good quality machines that would be in that price range? He’s pretty tech savvy, but I don’t know how much time he would have to really learn it. It would mainly be used for relic/coin hunting with some beach hunting.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe try a metal detector dealer in his area. He can perhaps try different machines.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a friend that is wanting to get into detecting and he was asking about what machine to get. He was looking at the garret ace series or something similar. I was thinking about also mentioning the nokta simplex to him as well. Are there any other good quality machines that would be in that price range? He’s pretty tech savvy, but I don’t know how much time he would have to really learn it. It would mainly be used for relic/coin hunting with some beach hunting.
what is his budget, if it is up to the cost of the Simple that is the detector I would go for I own and use the simplex it is a fantastic detector, if he does go with the simplex I highly recommend purchasing the 9.5 x 5 inch coil as well

if his budget affords him to spend a few hundred more dollars I would go with the Legend over anything that has been mentioned, the simplex is a single frequency detector as is others that were mentioned in previous replies out of the ones that were mentioned the simplex is the only one that is water proof the Legend is also water proof
both the Simplex and the Legend are vary simple to set up in fact you can take both rite out of the box and start detecting if you choose to just run the factory default settings which is the way I would start out just to get a feel for which ever detector he decides to go with

again i own both the simplex and the Legend and both are great detectors

the difference between the simplex and the legend
Simplex single frequency
Legend Multi frequency

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is getting to the end of the season but maybe if there was a treasure hunt near you it might be a good place to go talk and try out some detectors

OP
OP
LandSeig

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the replies, as far as a budget I don’t think he wants to buy top of the line detector, he’s stays pretty busy and he probably won’t be able to go out a lot. He wants a decent entry level one. So probably $300-400ish area, if I had to guess.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At that price you are pretty limited to a few . If it was me i would buy a Nokta Simplex It really is a good machine and a affordable price

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At that price you are pretty limited to a few . If it was me i would buy a Nokta Simplex It really is a good machine and a affordable price
absolutely the cost of the simplex is well with in his budget and he could probably evn pick up a pin pointer and stay with in his budget at $400

this is a smokin deal

and this

Last edited:

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simplex is a good suggestion. If he's considering a Garrett, I'd suggest the Apex instead of an Ace. Amazon has them for about $430. It's simultaneous multi-frequency, rechargeable (I hate batteries), and easy to use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread