Deus 2 11" coil VS 13" coil

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen videos and comparisons of these coils on the beach, etc. But i haven't seen many comparisons on them on Relics. So my son and i did a comparison using them on a civil war battle site the other day. This site has been hunted previously by us and others. The biggest problem here is the dirt is extremely hot and almost to the point where a PI like the GPX would be the best choice. For example, my sons Nokta Legend with 11" coil is useless here past around 4" on bullets, buttons, etc. Bullets we have dug range from 4" to as deep as 10". The comparison was done with my deus 2 using 11" and my sons Deus 2 using the 13x11 coil. The other difference is that his detector is using version 2.0 and mine is still using the original program. We switched detectors mid way through the hunt to make the comparison less biased. We compared deeper signals and discussed them. We never found a target that one coil hit much better than the other. My personal opinion is that his machine seemed to run a little smoother with less ground noise in the hot ground than mine, but this may be more the V2.0 on his machine than the coil. The 11" is lighter and easier to swing for long periods and pinpoints a little better. On the other hand you definetly feel like you are covering more ground in a field with the 13" coil. Both machines were set up by me exactly the same... they were being ran in the RELIC program, IAR at 5, Sense at 95, etc. They were noise cancelled and ground balanced. There is a large power line crossing this area at one end and the EMI is obvious there. Both detectors seemed to handle this about the same.....not great, but the DEus 2 does suffer from EMI interference especially with larger coils and the more powerful programs. I believe that his machine made up for the larger coil by having the updated version making them pretty even on the EMI interference. At the end of the day our keeper finds were pretty even with us each having a hand full of bullets and a couple other miscellaneous relics including a button, a nipple protector from an Enfield rifle, etc. In conclusion, i dont think a relic hunter could go wrong with either coil...with that said, i dont know that a person would need both. The smaller 9" coil is by far superior to the others for hunting yards, parks or other high target areas. If nothing else i did realize that there are some benefits of the newer 2.0 version that i am missing out on. Hope this rambling gives someone some insight when selecting the coils they would want or need for their Deus 2.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't own the 13x11 coil. Why? It's been my experience through testing and research that the east west dimension of a DD coil is the major factor in determining depth capability. The north south dimension obviously then determines area coverage. Given that, since the 13" coil is the same east west dimension as the 11" coil I prefer and use the 11" on the beach and other open areas for weight and balance characteristics. I also have a 9" coil for tighter areas and trashy sites.
As I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole....your view of the battlefield may very well differ.....

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good way of testing the 2 large coils. Maybe the same version 2.0 might of shown a bit a difference.
I really haven't given the large coil any thought as the 9" seems to be big enough for the iron patches that I do, or the bush.
I've gotten t the stage of detecting where it isn't a coverage thing at all, as really never has been.
Just covering the ground well is more important I figure.
I'm getting to the point of 50% overlap with the 9" even more so.

I did't know that about coils @ColonelDan the NSEW aspect to them.

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Yeah, bad ground and EMI is not a good combination for the Deus II.
In that condition of especially bad ground, I would change to a Vista X with the concentric, or a PI.
Now in areas of low ground mineralization or EMI, and especially at the beach, then the Deus II is right at home there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big coil actually measures 11 1/4" X 13 1/2", but, who know where the windings are in the plastic exactly. That's why I got both the 9" and the "11 X 13". I figured the 11" didn't offer any advantage over the combination of the other two.

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
Maybe not, as I've had both, but besides being a little nose heavy, unless you add the shaft centralized accessory, then the 11"x13" has a little advantage, more coverage, and slightly more depth.
I know a lot of people prefer it, so it must do something for them that the 11" doesn't. I either use the 9", or the 11"x13".

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
I use a 15" coil at the beach, and actually prefer it over the 13", as I get much greater depth and coverage. The only down side being the weight, which isn't real bad, but definitely more so than a smaller coil.
The 15" stays on if I'm going to the beach, because of increased finds, and it makes it easier to cover such a vast area.
I use a swingy thing, so I don't even notice the weight of the coil, and it keeps my detector out of the sand when using the scoop to recover targets.
Be prepared to dig targets over 12", and then some. Nothing can hide from the large coil, except maybe super small stuff, but also helps with the can slaw. Don't worry, it will hit the smallest of targets, like small ladies gold rings with ease.

Jollyrodger1

Apr 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What’s the average battery life for your coils and machine, curious. Can you go detect for 6 hours without a charge

Suncoast Kid

Feb 15, 2022
Detector(s) used
Minelab, XP
For the Deus, or Deus II, yes, but that is also when I verify that everything is charged beforehand.
The only exception I can think of is you might get less time when running around 4 kHz in boost, as that draws the most from your batteries. But you should still get around six hours, probably a little more time using a higher frequency. I can usually go all day, like eight hours. Also my batteries are pretty much new. If you're not getting at least five hours, then it might be time to consider replacing batteries, especially if you've had your unit for a long time.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the 9" and 11" x 13"; the 11" seemed redundant.
I do find some differences. In empty ground, the larger coil covers more ground faster, but in yards & parks, the 9" seems better at picking out the non-ferrous.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread